Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mule Monday: 1864 Indian Cent / 1858 Flying Eagle Cent Mule, Judd-362, Pollock-428, PCGS PR62

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 434Next Topic  
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1420 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  12:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
1864 1C Indian cent / 1858 Flying Eagle cent Mule, Judd-362, Pollock-428, High R.7, PR62 PCGS. A mule that combines the regular Indian cent die from 1864 (No L) with the obverse of an 1858 Flying Eagle cent. Struck in copper-nickel with a plain edge. This fantasy coin was most likely produced to sell to collectors. It is believed that 3-4 pieces exist today. A sharply struck example. The surfaces are bright with significant reddish patina around the margins.

Check out Certified Mules coin on ebay.

Read More: Coin of the Day Series
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9623 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CCF Press, we appreciate your posts!
Obviously intentional.
When was it that an obverse die became impossible to be used as an anvil (reverse) die in US mint coin striking history? This would have been more interesting on an 1859 Indian in the same composition with the reverse of a FEC.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58081 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool, never seen that one!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
2145 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Indian Head with a Flying Eagle - Best of both worlds. Great pairing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8026 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  02:55 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now that is a cool pattern!
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
584 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyez to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
id probally passout finding that
Pillar of the Community
United States
8026 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had to look this one up again, as I was sure I had seen one recently in my research on another subject, and sure enough this very coin was in the Lahrman Collection sold by Abe Kosoff in Feburary, 1963 at the NASC show in Southern California. It sold again in the Grand Central Sale by Paramount in November, 1974 then the last time it sold was by Heritage at the ANA Auction in March 2007.

The other known piece is graded even higher at PR-65 Cameo holder by NGC and has sold 4 times since the 1970's the last sale was in January, 2009 from Heritage in their Queller II sale. The PR65 example I believe, doesn't have the eye appeal of this MS62, as it has quite a few tiny flyspecks of carbon spotting around the headdress.

If you compare the two I think you'll agree. Here is the Heritage Queller Sale link:

https://coins.ha.com/itm/patterns/1...1121-1617.s?

According to my friend Rick Snow from his Vol. 1 Attribution Guide 1856-1877 had this to say;

Quote:
The Flying Eagle series was unusual in that the head die was made on the anvil die. This changed in 1859 where the head die was made on the hammer die. This made the production of the twoheaded coin between these designs a simple, if unusual, task.

An interesting explanation of how this fantasy coin could have been made with two obverse dies.

The Lee Lahrman collection of Indian Head cent patterns contained a set of copper-nickel cents (15 of them total Lot #918) which he put together over many years. The set included cents from 1856 to 1869. It was sold as one single lot with the 14 other patterns. It was then broken up in the Grand Central sale by Paramount in 1974 where they were all sold separately.

Link to the Kosoff, NASC Lahrman Auction Catalog:
https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/aucti...ionId=527512

The Lahrman sale had so many incredible coins in it, it's become one of my favorite sales which I've researched lately, also containing the ultra rare 1864 Small Motto proof Two Cent, a couple of $4 gold Stellas and many patterns and early proof sets, it's worthy of a look through just to see the many incredible coins he had in his collection.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
01/19/2021 11:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9623 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
westcoin, thank you for answering my questions about the anvil/obverse die situation.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 434Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05