Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Collector Coins Question

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 233Next Topic  
Valued Member

Australia
115 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  5:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add petef7365 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I apologise if this question has previously been asked and answered.

Why are so many collector coins/ bullion minted in Niue currency?

I am more likely to purchase a coin if it is in AUD.

Does this occasionally turn anyone else off a purchase?
Valued Member
United States
192 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  03:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This isn't a gripe that I can say I've ever had, but I wouldn't say it sounds super unusual. I can see how a person would be partial to their own country's issuing currency.

The thing that turns me off of Niue bullion is the gimmicky nature of it, seeing licensed properties on coins never felt right to me
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2215 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  05:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Niue is in "Free Association" with New Zealand, meaning it is self governing and controls all its own local affairs including coinage issuing. NZ controls its defence and some foreign affairs and Niuean locals have automatic NZ citizenship and the right to live in NZ, hence why some 17k Niueans live here and just 1500 in Niue!

They use the NZ dollar as their currency and for everyday use, have our coins and notes. The gimmick rubbish (I agree 99% is just crap like the plastic banknotes and Dr Who coins) is made by foreign mints like Pojoby and other Americo/British transnational ones and Niue is used as a name of convenience, these coins do not circulate in Niue but are legal tender. But when the average cost a gimmick $1 or $5 coin is over $100, you would have to be stupid to redeem for a $1 on an island which has 1 major settlement and the one bar runs an honesty system!

Niue used to also issue rubbishy wallpaper stamps, since 2011 however it has responsible issues by NZ Post. These self governing territories are prone to abuse by wallpaper stamp ande coin producers. The Niuean government is paid a token sum by these groups for using its name on this junk, mainly as countries like NZ, UK, USA etc are unlikely to issue plastic Disney Princess banknotes with their country's name on them.

The junk coins started with a 1985 - 1987 issue showing racing cars and Steffi Graf.
Truly thematic tatt for people whom collect that stuff.

Look into stamps and its worst, some of the wallpaper junk issued by places like the Cook Islands (Also in free association with NZ), Tuvalu, Tonga, Solomon Islands etc. Its just beyond tacky.

In synopsis - these tiny islands have limited income streams (Niue mainly exports copra and other primary materials) and earning money from some foreign mint to make joke coins with your country's name on, is a nice like income earner. Next time you see a Mickey Mouse Niue coin, just think that a Niuean islander may be getting a new air conditioner!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
01/15/2021 05:07 am
Valued Member
Australia
115 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add petef7365 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Princetane, thank you for the informative reply. That is very interesting.

Quote:
Next time you see a Mickey Mouse Niue coin, just think that a Niuean islander may be getting a new air conditioner!
LOL

I just bought one of the Pac Man 1 oz coloured Niue coins.

Edited by petef7365
01/17/2021 4:24 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 233Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05