Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Capped Bust Half Dollar With Strange Die Mark. What May Have Caused This?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 394Next Topic  
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  02:35 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Joey Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi everyone, I have a newly acquired bust half Dollar with a very strange mark on the reverse, above the eagle's head. The area of interest is raised above the field and is very prominent. It appears to be something from the striking process or possibly from a repaired area of the die?

Any ideas?

THANKS!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
37822 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  04:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Die clash?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2705 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  06:33 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it's a match for a die clash! Nice call John1!

Click the picture for a larger image
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Bedrock of the Community
United States
37822 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
2840 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, a die clash associated with the O-103 Overton variety.

http://maibockaddict.com/1813-o-103...dollar.shtml
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joey Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys!!

Die clash makes sense, and it exactly matches the picture from Yokozuna. That is a really neat picture. I'm assuming that it's not from a real coin, but just to demonstrate where the die clash would occur?

I love the website Zurie, definitely looks like O-103. Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1380 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reminds me of a Buck Rogers spaceship - (I know, Who's Buck Rogers? - LOL! )
Edited by Rothery
01/15/2021 4:04 pm
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joey Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, it does look like a spaceship!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2705 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Joey Morgan I used an image of a real of a non-clashed (is that a word?) Mint State coin, but it's just an overlay done in Photoshop. It does show where the dies could have clashed and caused the design to transfer to the resulting coins. You may be able to find other areas on your coin that match up with possible clashed areas using the overlay.
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Learn More...
United States
96232 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Reminds me of a Buck Rodgers spaceship - (I know, Who's Buck Rodgers? - LOL! )
A baseball player.

Buck Rogers, on the other hand...

The year is 1987, and NASA launches the last of America's deep space probes. In a freak mishap, Ranger 3 and its pilot, Captain William 'Buck' Rogers, are blown out of their trajectory into an orbit which freezes his life support systems, and returns Buck Rogers to Earth ... 500 years later.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1380 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A baseball player.

Buck Rogers, on the other hand...

OOPS! I'll change it!
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joey Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

@yokozuna Thanks for posting that photoshop image, very cool and makes it easy to visualize what happens when the dies clash!

I don't see any other obvious clash marks on this bust half but maybe that's because it's too worn?

Question: When a die clash occurs, why are there only isolated marks such as this one? I would expect to see the entire imprint from the opposite die. Is this due to repair/polishing? Or is this piece just too worn to see the lost details?
Learn More...
United States
96232 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 394Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05