Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ai In The Age Of Coin Collecting Ancients

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 205Next Topic  
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
780 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  09:01 am Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So eBay is now going to make us write the year and denomination of each coin. So we are going to have to try to do this, even with unknowns and names like Pentanummium, Chalkos, Hemitatemorion etc. Who knows what we will write. But the AI system will start to "correct" us with the most common name people put in the box at some point and start to tell us we are "incorrect" perhaps. But in another example of this, eBay is going to managed payments for coins finally and we are told there will probably be no disruption when it finally happens, but they "can't be sure what the system will do" if for example we list saying we take PayPal and the date changes to managed payments in the 7 days and we kind of have to wait and see what "it" does when faced with the situation. No human can be certain at all.
Pillar of the Community
United States
534 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  09:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4516 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  11:18 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like it's wait and see then.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mylimebug to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have seen this change taking place on Ebay. Obviously a policy that has been put in place for modern coins, and not a policy that is really applicable for ancient coins.

Is ae3 a denomination for Roman Coins on Ebay? Is ae15 a denomination for Greek coins on Ebay? Is 350 - 300 BC specific enough for the year on Ebay?

Just too many unanswered questions regarding this change as it applies to ancient coins. But the change to managed payments will be a positive for both buyers and sellers. Nice for buyers to have more payment options.

Marsha
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2708 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had to go through and update all the ancient coins I have on eBay.

If I had a specific date for a coin, such as the Gallienus antoninianus struck in 261 AD, I entered that. For others, I entered the reign of the emperor.

It did let me type in "AE-3" and "Centenionalis" for denominations. They were not in the options eBay provided.

It is a pain and not overly helpful since I include all of that information in my descriptions of the coins.
Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
United States
1155 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The purpose of item specifics is to aid in search. Keeping that in mind may help to most appropriately fill the field. I have been an eBay seller long enough to remember when requiring photos and banning 'cash by registered mail' as an international payment option were going to ruin the platform. We will get by somehow.
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mylimebug to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kushanshah - Yes... Remember those early days in Ebay. Photos of coins (and anything else) were very difficult in the days before digital cameras.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 205Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05