Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Conder Token, Realistic Value?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 211Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4301 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  07:15 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Granted, this is a slightly less common, more desirable one, and is NGC certified at MS 63 BN. Originally listed on eBay at $2,297 but just reduced to $919. Still seems like an astronomical price to me. Your thoughts?

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4006 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  08:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It seems to me that, as many others have said, the actual sale prices are the only way to determine a true value. This is especially the case with Conder tokens which are a much smaller market than some heavily collected areas like US coins. I am not aware of any general price guides for Conder tokens that at least give a good idea of reasonable sale prices.

Obviously the original, oresumably BIN price, was grossly inflated or nearly arbitrary, like so many seem to be.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4301 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I'd further remark that this is also a case of "buy the coin, not the slab" as I see what are to my eye obvious abrasions to a couple of high points on the obverse. I'd judge this token to be pretty clearly AU, not MS.

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2455 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  08:58 am  Show Profile   Check alganbagerap's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the UK third party grading is relatively rare in the world of tokens. That said this token in its home market might make 100, but it could struggle.
Heritage sold an absolute pristine beauty maybe 18 months ago for around $400
Valued Member
United States
265 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yarm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This token sold as Lot 62301 in an August 2020 Heritage sale for $156. It is in below average condition based on the NGC census.

I have purchased a couple of items from this Ebay seller but at a fraction of the reduced but still absurd BIN price.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-brit...ption-071515
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8096 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In the UK third party grading is relatively rare in the world of tokens. That said this token in its home market might make 100

My 1965 edition of Seaby's 'British Copper Coins & Their Values' gives a value of 1 2s 6d for this token in EF... I know prices have gone up since then but $919 is ridiculous!
Pillar of the Community
United States
509 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you are seeing poor strike but that price seems crazy high. I have recently been buying most my tokens from UK Ebay sellers and have gotten some nice examples quite reasonably . I know there not worth near as much as US 1700'S Coins but I will also never be able to afford similar quality US 1700'S Coins :)
I just buy the ones that peak my interest
Valued Member
United States
173 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2021  11:39 pm  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Galata/Withers lists it at 80 in EF (10 years ago, that is).
"I ain't good-looking, but I'm willing to try."
--- Dave "Snaker" Ray: 'It's All Right,' 1963
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 211Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05