Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help Please And Thank You

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 454Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  2:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jtmoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm pretty new to collecting, started with wheat pennies and the addiction has consumed me. I came across several coins in a roll from a bank that I can not figure out. I never realized how much there was to learn! These particular coins are much more shiny and stand out. I read about the experimental gold coins but dont have enough knowledge to really know. they might just be regular pennies in great condition. I included several pics, any help nor feedback is greatly appreciated!

Learn More...
United States
18642 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jtm, first welcome to CCF. Second, while best practice is to only post one coin per thread here, I recognize that you have multiple coins that all seem to have similar golden toning so it is fine. Have you weighed them to make sure that they are within mint specs?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
991 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is your question exactly? These all look like normal pennies to me
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jtmoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's hard to see in the photos, but they seem a little extra shiny to me, and I know there not gold but the coloring made me think there was something special about them.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jtmoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And no they have not been weighted. I will do so this evening,
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54774 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sharper images would help, but these look pretty normal to me.

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
01/16/2021 3:38 pm
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ratsunracing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whats with the "WE" on the 1974 coin?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20085 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

First of all you should not be handling those with your bare hands. Your going to leave fingerprints on them. Your fingers have oils and acids on them. It is rather amazing that you got all those since most are almost new. Those should be kept apart from other coins due to damage. The reason they are so shiny is they are all practically new and should be kept that way. And again, do not handle them with bare hands.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1342 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems you just were lucky enough to get a mixed date roll of some uncirculated (shiny) Lincoln cents.
Valued Member
United States
80 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Amy939 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What's up with the 6th pic down (1993)? It looks like his hair is all the way to the top unless it's just the way the camera took
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48864 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BU coin should look like that. Business strike cents, all of them a Proof coin is what we consider Shiny:

Note the coin on the left. It is a proof coin. These are made for collectors. This one should be a 'S' mint coin because it is a proof. But the mintmark wasn't made on the die. (first year for the mintmarks to be on the die, rather than in the past 1989 and before, where the mintmark punch was added to the die. So the examples like your first coin, doesn't have a mintmark indicating it was struck in Philadelphia. The only year Philly had a mintmark on cents is 2017 with A 'P' mintmark.

All other years of Philly cents do not have mintmarks.
On the 1965-1967 on all coins, none had mintmarks on them to discourage collectors from hoarding all the different mintmarks. There were no Proof coins those years. They issued SMS (Special-Mint-Sets) for collectors.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
426 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add td5173 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When tacking pictures of coins do not hold them. I have found many soft cloths that work for putting them on. Prop the coin up on a fold of the cloth and then take a picture. Take many pictures of both side. Then go to your phone edit for pictures I have both types of phone they have them. Fix what needs fixing Crop the pictures. Get rid of the rest post the best you have. It takes time to learn how to do this but the results are worth it.
Pillar of the Community
551 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Waynoah83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also, dont use the flash on your camera. It's better to take pics of them under a bright light. Tske a couple, as close as your camera will focus on them, and then find the most detailed pics you can zoom in on. The flash can distort things.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5025 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems like you accidentally obtained someone's collection. We see this every now and again. Someone passes and all the coin's found in their chest of draws gets cleaned out and turned into the bank for face value. Luckily they have been found by someone who will treasure them again.

Advice you have been given is sound; you may want to want to invest in inexpensive cotton gloves (available from anywhere that sells hobby supplies) to handle these shiny "like new" cents you have to protect them from oils in your skin. And if you don't have one, a jeweler's loupe to see them up close. If you think you want to continue in this hobby, I'd highly recommend The Red Book to US coins.

The ultra shiny surfaces you see on your coins in very natural with "brand new-like" copper cents. Usually they lose this natural aura once they are passed around a few times, so what you have *are* special, just not made of gold like you were hoping. You have come to a great place to learn more about your coins. So, what questions do you have about these coins? As mentioned, please limit posting one coin per thread... this is so we can address each coin/issue without being confusing for us. So, ask away, we're here to help!

to the CCF! Welcome aboard!

ša va bien aller

Valued Member
United States
193 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So on this, a little on the cent history. Pre 1982 Lincolns are 95% copper, and post 1982 cents are 5% copper. 1982 was a transition year with several varieties. One cent here I would for sure keep is that 1951-S Lincoln though it is a common date. I checked out your 1995-p Lincoln for a possible doubled die obverse, but nothing spotted. The 1983 and 1984 Lincolns could have double die errors on them also, where the 1983 would be on the reverse, and the 1984 would have a possible doubled ear.
Of course, collecting coins is up to the collector, since even I have ho-hum-average coins that have essentially no value but face value but keep them anyway because I like them.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jtmoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the advice and help! Have not been handling them properly at all. Had em all mixed in a bag for several days while traveling. I'll be sure and take better care. I'll keep em and maybe one day they might be worth something! I'm deff loving the thrill and excitement of a batch of new coins. I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future, but I can tell I came to the right place.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 454Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05