Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1857 Large Cent Listing

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 325Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
2579 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  4:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Cannot believe this coin is already up to nearly $150 with all the problems it has! https://www.ebay.com/itm/1857-Sm-Da...AOSwntRf9jfK
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54809 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rare die pairing?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2579 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
no such thing for that year. Small date is slightly less common.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7636 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not really hairlines per se, more like multiple light scratches, though Frisco Mint is a good seller, it's Chris McCawley and his nephew and nephews' friend. I've bought a few coins from them and they do have nice stuff. No fakes either.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1353 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Low mintage of about 333,500 - and the last year of production? The coin does have damage and looks to have been cleaned at one time, plus verdigris seems to be coming back - Maybe the bidders didn't mouse over the pictures to get a zoom view......
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54809 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at past sales, I guess that's an OK price for a straight coin, but that face looks pretty messed up..
Edited by Coinfrog
01/16/2021 5:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1996 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not to mention the obverse graffiti in the west field. Looks like MA....maybe an X. Not sure what people see in examples like this.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5152 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  09:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not to mention the obverse graffiti in the west field. Looks like MA....maybe an X.

Highly unlikely Chris's team would miss something like that.
He's a top-end EAC dealer so a problem like you mentioned would be a gross mistake on his part.
BUT
As for the price, I've noticed his items on eBay are often valued higher than I'd expect.

I buy from him at Baltimore Whitman shows and get very reasonably priced coins.
Of course there hasn't been a show for over a year.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2828 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a details coin to me, but at least his description was pretty accurate. Definitely a steep price for that coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2226 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've bought from Chris and agree that he is a reputable dealer and an expert in early copper. His listing does not claim that this coin is not a details coin. He shows good pictures for bidders to make their own decision. The price seems slightly high but OK for a clear graded coin but too high for a details coin which I think it is.

Member ANA and EAC

"You got to lose to know how to win".
Dream On by Aerosmith
Edited by cipster
01/17/2021 09:43 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1996 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Highly unlikely Chris's team would miss something like that.
He's a top-end EAC dealer so a problem like you mentioned would be a gross mistake on his part.

I'm by no means putting this on the seller. They listed at auction, with clear pictures. They never claimed the coin wasn't a Details coin. ( Edit: although I did feel they minimized the issues a bit.) The buyers determined the price.

I AM putting it on the buyer though. This is 100% a details coin, and that certainly looks to be graffiti. To each their own, people can collect what makes them happy. . I'm simply saying that I don't see the appeal in spending that much money on an obvious problematic example

Edited by Ty2020b
01/17/2021 11:15 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54809 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Old hairlines across the obverse..." I certainly wouldn't want that description on my resume if I had his reputation.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 325Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05