Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1923 S Buffalo Nickel

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 369Next Topic  
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  10:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Rigs0880 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was looking at the date of this S Buffalo nickel and it seems that someone was messing with it possibly made it look like an S, which I read was a common practice due to the value difference between no mintmark P and S.
Id like to get opinions on this coin weather the mint mark has been altered or should I say no mint mark was altered.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3977 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You say S......I'm not seeing it...maybe clearer pixs would help...
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Pillar of the Community
United States
2813 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see any signs of an S mintmark.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1960 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  12:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not seeing any signs of one either.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7627 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  02:13 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
not seeing any sign of mintmark, but on the coin as a whole, I think it was buried possibly the source of the pitting all over, the coin has been through corrosion of some sort. It's a slightly better date (semi-key even) but really only a tough to find coin in really high uncirculated grades today. The price starts getting expensive in VF and above. This date/mint mark combination is known for a weaker strike, I've had quite a few I've bought hoping to get them into a TPG holder in Mint State, they've always come back AU55 or AU58, I think I got a single one into a NGC MS62 holder out of maybe 30 different coins, everyone I felt was borderline MS so the TPGs are tough on this date as well. I still have a bunch of lower grade examples myself just because it's one of my favorite date mint mark combinations. Your coin is very typical to many I have in lower grade, I see that corrosion or pitted look often.

Funny coincidence is I have 5 of the lower grade 1923-S Buffs sitting in front of me right now, I just pulled out of the safe. Here they are on my mousepad, with a 1925-S tossed in too. I was just getting ready to photograph them for sales.

"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54663 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a normal 1923 to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5145 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Looks like a normal 1923 to me.

I'm not so sure even of that.
Definitely no "S" mintmark (on the reverse, of course).
But it also looks like the date has been altered.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54663 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now that you mention it, that 3 in particular does look funky.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7627 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the date looks just fine. Compare to a few of the ones I have they are all 23-S though.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1295 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see no S on the reverse BUT I do see a 23 under the 1923 on the obverse - check it out..........

Edited by Rothery
01/18/2021 7:17 pm
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  12:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rigs0880 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see it but all that deterioration is also over it or like I said it could be messed with as far as the date it looks fine to me maybe struck through die cap?
Edited by Rigs0880
01/19/2021 01:00 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 369Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05