Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

German 5 And 10 Euro Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 185Next Topic  
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  03:05 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add slappywhyte to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Currently living in Germany and have amassed a number of 5 and 10 Euro coins. I have a set for my collection but am curious how the market is for 5 and 10 Euro coins back in the United States. I'll be returning soon and was curious to know if there a premium paid for these coins. I'm a coin hobbyist first but I also don't mind trying to turn duplicate parts of my collection into an investment as well.

Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8104 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  04:29 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure about the USA but I live in the UK and have travelled and worked extensively in Europe, and collected quite a few Euro coins from various countries including NCLT high values.

My experience is that the 1 cent to 2 euro coins from every country are widely collected throughout the Eurozone,as well as standard 2-euro commemoratives in the normal metallic composition.

However, I find that higher value commemoratives seem to be only collected extensively in the country of issue - i.e. a French 10-euro coin would not especially interest a Spanish or German collector.

There is little interest in euro coins amongst British collectors, although some of the wackier high value commemoratives do have a following.
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  05:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add slappywhyte to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you NumisRob. Speaking of 1 Euro coins did you see the error posted on another thread from 2017 regarding the Deutsche 1 Euro coin from 2002 where the stars all point towards the rim rather than straight up per Euro format? Fascinating. To think all this time I could have been searching for a 500 Euro 1 Euro coin in my pocket!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8104 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  06:08 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Speaking of 1 Euro coins did you see the error posted on another thread from 2017 regarding the Deutsche 1 Euro coin from 2002 where the stars all point towards the rim rather than straight up per Euro format?

Yes, I was aware of this rare variety. Never found one though!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4377 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@slappy, looks to me like there is some money to be made. Recent sales on U.S. eBay of the Germany 5 euro polymer ring coins are at $13-19 (plus shipping), and the 10 euro at $20-30, or about 100% premium. What I call the inventory to sales ratio is not very high (roughly 1:1).

Of course "past returns are no indication of future performance."

Edited by tdziemia
01/18/2021 08:34 am
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add slappywhyte to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Tdz.

I'm not a big Ebayer and as I mentioned I've always been a collector, not an investor of coins. However I'm a capitalist so why not?

I did see those coins on Ebay but from what some folks on these forums say, you can't always trust those numbers. Sometimes it's folks messing with numbers to achieve some objective.

But thanks, maybe I can post a set of the coins there.

Would be great if someone set up a sales site just for coins with a low commission rate. Ebay's commission rate seems a little high for coin transactions.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Germany
609 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redlock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
However, I find that higher value commemoratives seem to be only collected extensively in the country of issue - i.e. a French 10-euro coin would not especially interest a Spanish or German collector.

Generally speaking, that's true. However, Austrian NCLT coins are quite popular amoung German collectors.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 185Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05