Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are These "Peg Leg" Ikes?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 370Next Topic  
Lithuania
36 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  09:31 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ezhik_Lt to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've been searching through the bulk of Ikes recently - like 35 pcs looking for better coins worth keeping and found several that looks like a "peg leg" variety for me.
Could you please help me a bit? The "R" letters doesn't have an obvious and clearly visible serif but are these real "Peg Legs"?

These are (from bottom to the top):
1. 1972 D
2. 1976 D Bicentennial Ike
3. 1978 D

Any input kindly appreciated :)

Bedrock of the Community
United States
37794 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
487 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nickels_rule to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, very nice.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1469 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  10:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you take pictures of all three separately? The bottom one is, but the top two are out of focus.
My best finds:
1996 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/372066
Two 2000 WAMs in a box: http://goccf.com/t/375240
1995 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/376071#3225244
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48930 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are just over polished dies. Just like the missing initials on the JFK halves, the missing 3 legged nickels. No 'D' 1922 cents. There were on the finished and were polished off the die. Happens and lot.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Lithuania
36 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ezhik_Lt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks coop for explanation. So it's not an error but basically a variety? I heard some explanations that dies serif was removed for a reason since otherwise top of the Ike's head looked too bold since too mush metal was used for serif but I got some doubts :)
I will add a crops of "R" for coins that are out of focus, sorry for bad pictures.

This is 1972 D.

Lithuania
36 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ezhik_Lt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here goes badly scratched 1978 D Ike
Lithuania
36 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ezhik_Lt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finally - Bicentennial dollar
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48930 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, just polished off the die. It happens:

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Pillar of the Community
United States
5050 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please, one coin per thread. It's really hard for us to discuss multiple coins in a single thread. Thank you.

ša va bien aller

Lithuania
36 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  04:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ezhik_Lt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@coop Richard thank you for putting so much efforts. This is really informative yet disappointing a bit :) since my finds appears to be
quite ordinary and worth nothing but a dollar. At least there is one AU worth keeping just for fun.

@merclover Sorry for that. I'm a bit old fashioned and remember the times when one had to pay for every KB of Internet traffic used so I did a one topic per question thing. Next time I'll do "one topic per coin".

So I have learned that a)these are actually so-called "Peg Leg's" b)Missing details were caused by die polishing made to remove damages or fix warn elements of the die c)this is normal part of technology process and very common thing d)I should always post one coin per topic.

Thank you so much!
Valued Member
United States
499 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NDCENT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I appreciated the three coins, from different years, from a perspective point of view. Thanks for sharing with us.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48930 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you went to a doctor and he only saw patients in a group, your answers might not be answered on specific questions. Thus it is better to handle a coin to know what exactly it is, and if you have three, then the same information would have been covered already.

Richard S. Cooper

Lithuania
36 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2021  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ezhik_Lt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@coop
Thanks again Richard. Shame on me.
I shall always post one coin per thread
95 more times :)

I really appreciate your help, gentlemen. It's a bit tricky but exciting to dive into new eternity of coinage so though I was almost sure these were "peg legs" I wanted to double check. Guess it's not a rare thing since I got 3 out of 35 but still exciting and encouraging
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 370Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05