Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Advice. Inherited Coins How To Ship

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 401Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
156 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  09:40 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add qaman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just inherited coins they are in Florida and I need to ship to Ohio. Looks to be 4 3 rings binders with coins in 2 x 2's, loose foreign about 20 lbs. and approx. 20 lbs. of US mainly silver. Short of driving there what would be the best and safest way to ship these.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4490 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  09:56 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would have them packaged well in a box and shipped USPS insured. It might cost you quite a sum but it'd be worth the peace of mind.

Edit: Tell them it's your mineral collection.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Edited by chafemasterj
01/20/2021 09:58 am
Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add qaman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! I like the mineral collection aspect.
Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add davef to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With the way USPS is currently I'd also suggest considering buying enough insurance. If you would have a claim the rock collection may not be a good idea.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4490 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  11:13 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's true Davef. Good thinking. I hadn't thought of that.

Edit: That being said let's go full 180. Have whoever is shipping them to you take pictures of everything and like Davef said be sure to insure appropriately.
Edited by chafemasterj
01/20/2021 11:16 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14830 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  11:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stagecoach and shotgun might be cheaper .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4490 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  11:39 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Stagecoach and shotgun might be cheaper.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3737 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  11:39 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty easy stuff , reduce the size by tossing the binders ,
Roll all the coins up , purchase USPS Priority box of
appropriate size . Tape up your secure package .
Find a post office , buy insurance with signature .
Then mail ....not rocket science!
Edited by Pacificoin
01/20/2021 11:40 am
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add looped to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
well, actually, registered mail is the ONLY insurance you can get for coins, bullion, and money in general---regular insurance does NOT cover coins, bullion, etc---
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add looped to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here's the other part of that reply of telling them it is your rock collection...if it does get lost you will have to supply PROOF OF VALUE so if you tell them something which is not true then you will NOT be able to file a claim if it does get lost---trust me, I know those regulations well!!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17216 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
well, actually, registered mail is the ONLY insurance you can get for coins, bullion, and money in general---regular insurance does NOT cover coins, bullion, etc---

You have to ship Registered for coverage on bullion or common spending cash, but collectible coins are covered by regular insurance.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
279 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hunter611 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have them shipped in a Priority flat rate large box (up to 70 lbs), tape the box sufficiently with clear shipping tape and then tape all seams with brown shipping tape. Send via usps registered mail/insured. Will be there in several days. Cost = flat rate priority plus registered plus insurance. No biggie. I just sent a box out this way.
Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add qaman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks All!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3477 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hunter611 is spot on!
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add looped to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yikes I still can't read replies
Pillar of the Community
United States
2866 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would be advantageous to have a good sense for coin condition. If any are rather $$$$$$$$, lumping a bulky lot in a box may increase risk of damage--pack accordingly. May want to break the shipment into two boxes--20lbs is a lot of weight when sharing a confined space with 2x2s. If none of the coins are irreplaceable, no sweat.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 401Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05