Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1963 Proof Quarter - Is This A Tdr Triple Die Reverse?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 172Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
88 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  2:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tryingmybest to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello- I am looking at an old collection of Proof coins that my mother has had stored for over 55 years.
While searching for varieties I have come upon this quarter. It seems to have a TDR particularly of the left bottom and top letters and leaves. Particularly see the Us bottoms of leaves and opening of R in Quarter. I can not find a reference for this. Any thoughts? The quarter is still in the cellophane so I apologize for the photos- hey are clear but not as clear as I would like to present to this group. Thank you.

Edited by tryingmybest
01/20/2021 3:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1166 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That Coin Dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see anything.
Keep track of your collection: https://en.ucoin.net/?ref=Ux0E0if

My collection: https://en.ucoin.net/uid112788
A friendly coin dude that is here for you!
A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification.
I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
My best US coin find: http://goccf.com/t/387871
Pillar of the Community
United States
5541 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can see what you are referring to and why you'd think it might be a Doubled Die, but it is a classic example of MD, and not a Doubled Die.
Valued Member
United States
88 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tryingmybest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I added another photo at the bottom marking three of the areas in question. I'm sorry I can't get it clearer without opening the cello which I'm trying not to do at this point as it remains part of the set.
Edited by tryingmybest
01/20/2021 3:22 pm
Valued Member
United States
88 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tryingmybest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your comment and help. I am not used to seeing Machine Doubling on proofs so I thought to post his and get opinions. This group has always been a terrific reference thanks.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1313 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Proof coins are struck twice so I reckon there can be 2 MD strikes?.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48815 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Usually the first strike is flatten with by the second strike. This is called flat field doubling:

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
88 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tryingmybest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks - great images!
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 172Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05