Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can This 1864-L Be Improved/Conserved?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 595Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
6 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  4:12 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add nutmegcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I soaked this 1864-L Indian head in olive oil for a day or so, then acetone. Can this be conserved?

Edited by nutmegcoin
01/20/2021 4:16 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54703 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Verdi-Care is all I can think of, and even then I'm guessing it would still be a details coin.

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
01/20/2021 4:14 pm
Valued Member
Canada
211 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ironhorse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
this IHC has the look of a coin that was in the ground a long time...the overall green patina and soil stuck in the devices

I appreciate and enjoy the look of dug coins..but they're not for everyone; if you choose to try and strip away the (green)patina you will essentially remove the surface of the coin itself and you will not be happy with that result, I guarantee you.
My only advice is to enjoy it as it is, I personally don't feel you can make it better than it is but you sure can make it worse.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37711 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. It would need to grade VF-20 to justify all costs in having it slabbed. PCGS and NGC offer a conservation service at an additional charge, I don't know that charge. You might want to contact them to see all the costs involved. http://www.numismedia.com/cgi-bin/c...de2=pricesms
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20084 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Has the appearance of a coin that is basically gone.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
7630 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes Verdi-Care would probably improve the appearance of this one, though it would still be, and always be a details coin. Nothing on earth could change it back to a state before corrosion took hold. You may get a lot less green color, but the pitting will be there forever unfortunately. The yellowing may also diminish. See this example I did on a Two Cent Piece. (posted before here on CCF), to show what is possible with a Verdi-Care application. This one was an two night soaker.

Being this appears to be the 1864 L Indian Head cent it is certainly worth trying some Verdi-Care on it. I don't think it would hurt it any.

EDIT: To say I give all my Two Cent coins a good acetone bath as well, so minus the Olive oil sand less green verdigris you can see how Verdi-Care helped to improve the visual appearance (at least IMO) of my 1865 deuce. I got it for the unusual die cracks on the reverse not so much the planchet flaw.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2¢ variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
01/21/2021 5:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1313 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know if anybody has been able to buy Verdi-Care in quite some time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7630 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  01:52 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I purchased my bottle end of August 2020. Don't know if there is any more left. BadThad only sold me a single 15ml bottle far cry from old 60ml or 2oz bottle I got the first time, the 15ml bottle was the same price as the 60ml was 5 years ago.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2¢ variety collector.

Edited by westcoin
01/22/2021 9:09 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14865 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would try a long soak in Acetone first . Maybe some of that green might dissolve , then a treatment with Verdi-Care .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
7630 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  03:37 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
T-BOP my deuce sat in acetone for a half an hour or so that photo shot on the left is after the acetone, it was all Verdi-Care that made the green go away, two applications one over night soak, changed the solution and added some more onto the coin. I use the little soy sauce or salad dressing plastic cups you can find at the grocery store, I have a ton of them, great for over night or long soaks in the Verdi-Care as I also have lids so it doesn't evaporate. The Acetone won't take the green away unless it's recent goopy PVC. It appears more like old corrosion that has sat on the coin for some time and is dried out. Verdi-Care might help that.

United States
6 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nutmegcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tried acetone and "Conserv" without much benefit.

I sent it into ICG on their $10 economy tier asking Skip Fazzari there who was with NGC/NCS to conserve it, it is a little better:

Pillar of the Community
United States
1522 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Check colonialjohn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add colonialjohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can bring this coin back to LIFE but no one listens to me anymore that I have the process. Send it to me. PM me. Then do before/after pictures. LOL

CORRODED - no problemo señor.

JPL
Edited by colonialjohn
02/16/2021 7:52 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54703 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
colonialjohn - that's a pretty confident remark! How about showing us some before/after pics of your process before we get amped up?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1522 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Check colonialjohn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add colonialjohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Already did on this channel. JPL
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54703 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well then it should be easy for you to show us your process here on the CCF. How about it?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37711 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  04:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 595Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.15 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05