Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1797 Half Cent W/ Stems, Plain Edge Value?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 302Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
63 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  7:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoinHunter00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I am posting these two pictures of a 1797 Half Cent to hopefully get some insight/information about it, specifically if its legit and if so, what its value is! Thank you ahead of time!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54644 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say G+ details (scratched). Fine old coin, but not a fan.
Learn More...
United States
18606 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@coin what are the weight and diameter of this piece?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
178 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think this is a VG details. The reverse image is hard to see detail due to the angle.
Valued Member
United States
63 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  12:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, I do not currently have the coin in my possession -- was just wondering if I should change that but I think I will pass! Thanks for the responses!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17222 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally I like it. 1797 C-2 an R-4 variety.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
5400 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  2:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with VG details, with several significant old scratches. The coin looks genuine, with a relatively smooth planchet and no apparent corrosion. Even with the scratches the value is likely in the $500 range.

I think many type collectors would be pleased with this coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1812 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reverse photo makes it difficult to get a good feel for the grade. It looks either G-06 or VG-08 details, and more likely VG-08 details. I have to say, for a details coin, it looks pretty nice for the grade. The scratches are old, and the coin circulated a while after the scratches.

IMHO a straight graded VG-08 would be $600-ish, give or take a bit. The general rule of thumb for details coins is to cut the straight grade value in half, but this one likely would go a bit higher. Somewhere around $400-450 might be in the ballpark.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 302Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05