Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Die Cracks On A 1942 50 Cent Piece

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 365Next Topic  
Canada
32 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  10:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Levaril to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good evening,

I have an interesting one. It's not particularly valuable and probably not remotely unique, but it has more die cracks on it than I've ever seen on a 50 cent piece. 1942. The grade isn't great but it is what it is. Anyone have any worse than this?

IMP is the only word on the reverse that doesn't have significant die cracks. Every other word and between words is basically solid cracks. It's over 75% of the circumference. No idea how it stayed together long enough to actually strike it fully. It had to be pretty much terminal I think.

Lev
Valued Member
Poland
371 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  02:17 am  Show Profile   Check norantyki's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add norantyki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All the wartime silver coinage seems to have been more prone to die cracks - in my experience, particularly the 25c and 50c pieces - likely because they were trying to lengthen the lives of the dies while meeting production targets. There are quite a few cracks on your example (more typically its 1-3), but I have handled similar pieces. I wouldnt say that condition is poor - most late die states that I encountered were in the thoroughly circulated grades (F-VF). A neat piece!
Dealer, collector - Coins, Banknotes, Watches, Stamps, Antiquities - Norantyki.com
Pillar of the Community
Canada
8774 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  07:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Die cracks are fairly common on silver 50 cent coins.
In fact some of them have a variety designation in Charltons
Valued Member
Canada
439 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  08:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pginrh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Zoell Minor Variety Catalogues show at least 150 War Year 50c coins with die cracks.....there are over twenty 1942 50c coins with die cracks. I collected these coins and there are at least as many again that he didn't photograph and insert in his catalogues. The Mint squeezed as many coins as possible from the dies during these years..This coin is a very nice example of die crack coins from these years
Edited by pginrh
01/21/2021 08:58 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3398 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  08:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For those of you that are somewhat unfamiliar with the denomination, "pginrh" is the guru for information on 50 cent coinage. He has conducted great research and published excellent information for collectors, including the variety section of past Charlton guides. It's good to see him checking in to this thread.

I think that the D/C's consist of essentially just one continuous crack running from the tops of the letters to the adjacent top/serifs of the next ones. Wartime steel for the dies was very brittle and cracked fairly easily.
Edited by okiecoiner
01/21/2021 4:08 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5135 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been fond of die cracks for 20+ years.
Always consider them as giving "personality" to a coin.

Not being particularly knowledgeable about Canadian (or any GB&BC) coins I find it interesting that there are Canadian coins with die cracks on them.
I've always considered Canada "fussier" about their quality, but considering it was wartime I can understand.

I've got three South Africa 3d coins that appears to have repunched dates but never have gotten a definitive opinion about that.
I'll try and get that sorted out someday (but someday can't be too far off; I turn 80 this year and I am running out of "somedays").
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Valued Member
Canada
439 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pginrh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe that Zoell classification F443h best fits the Obverse Die Cracks. Since Die Cracks are a result of a die damaged by usage, they are a 'Progressive' fail and can grow worse with continued use.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
794 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add robmck1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

here is a good example of progression. 1943 50 cents Zoell FL444E
Canada
32 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Levaril to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for everyone chiming in on it. I just found it fascinating how much of the circumference was cracked. It basically starts at the first G in Georgivs and ends at the D in IND. I've been collecting 50 cent pieces for years and I've definitely seen a few along the way. Often they are on the reverse I find. The ones along the words in the obverse aren't all that rare though for sure, but to make its way around 75% of the obverse is a first for me so I had to pick it up. The pictures when it was being sold weren't great but I could just barely make out the cracks so I picked it up. It was barely over melt. I could wish it was MS but it's still at least interesting. I need to take better pictures!
Canada
32 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Levaril to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some slightly better pictures. It's out of the 2x2 anyways. I'm still working on my picture taking skills. Lol.

Valued Member
Canada
439 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pginrh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1942 F443h 50c coin seems to be quite durable in spite of all those Obverse die cracks as I have found at least five of them through the last few years at various dealers stock at coin shows ranging from Kitchener to Oshawa. There is a Clash Mark and some die cracks on the Reverse.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 365Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05