Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

TPG For 2019 S REV Proof Eagle

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 368Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
194 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  10:36 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BGLI to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought this coin and never opened the box and the last year a blur so ...but I think I should send in to be slabbed. I have never sent a coin in for slabbing. Do you suggest PCGS or NGC? What type of service and do I want the certificate slabbed as well? I have heard box must remain sealed so I guess I just place the unopened box in a priority insured box? ? Not planning on selling but feel slabbing could be better to preserve the coin?
Thanks for the suggestions
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2887 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We need
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54703 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The TPG will have to open the box to grade it, so why shouldn't you open it beforehand to make sure it's worth submitting?
Valued Member
United States
194 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  11:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BGLI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought I recalled someone saying they won't slab the actual certificate linking the # to the coin if the box was opened? Is that not correct?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3987 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  01:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are correct and I believe you can still have "early strike/release or first day of issue" on the label if you wish as long as the shippers box is un-opened..Mines in the same condition as yours.......boxed
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Valued Member
United States
404 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrpapageorgio to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NGC typically won't provide an "early releases" designation since it's past the deadline, but you can send it to PCGS and get the first strike designation as long as it remains sealed in the original shipping box.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6324 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  11:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mine also is in the shipping envelope unopened.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9564 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  11:53 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not planning on selling but feel slabbing could be better to preserve the coin?

If you intend to keep the coin long term then I would not have it graded now. The mint capsule that these pieces ship in offer good protection. Keep it in a low humidity, climate-controlled environment.

P.S. I'd open it and enjoy it. It is beautiful and well worth ogling over.
ANA #R3154474
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10838 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  12:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The First Strike or whatever TPG nonsense is (even more) meaningless on a coin like the 2019 S ERP ASE with a mintage of 30k. They're all "first strikes".

Oh, and I don't believe slabs are air tight. So, you will protect it from fingerprints and dings but not from the environment.

In all fairness, I'm thinking of having mine graded too.

Let us know what you decide.
Edited by CelticKnot
01/25/2021 12:36 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1329 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mine is also sitting in a drawer unopened for the last year. I think at this point the value difference of a PR70 vs. a PR69 outweighs the cost to get it graded. and I think a PR69 sells the same as an ungraded one, so for the initial cost ( if you bout it from the mint and not on the secondary market) it's worth the cost to grade it also.

I'd also say, the coin and certificate would sell better as a set comparing apples to apples to possible buyers vs. just the coin alone, so getting the certificate done also I'd say is worth the cost. If/when you did decide to sell it's likely you'll be going up against ones that have the certificate done too.
Edited by Big-Kingdom
01/26/2021 11:16 am
Valued Member
United States
194 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BGLI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I decided that I will send mine in for grading for the reasons stated by several of you. I have never sent a coin in and it looks overly complicated to me. Should I join first as a silver or gold PCGS member and use a free grading voucher program and just pay for extras? Can someone help and suggest what extras I should include if sending in the unopened mint box? Thanks all
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 368Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05