Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1980 American Penny Error. Pics Inc

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 197Next Topic  

Canada
10 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  11:58 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Tskinny to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here is my penny, you can see near the date that the outer ridge fades away. When I hold the coin on the side you can see that is pressed/flattened in that area and the coin is warped.

Canada
10 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tskinny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awe sheet, can I have some help moving this to proper forum. Sorry!
Valued Member
Poland
372 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Check norantyki's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add norantyki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is struck with a slightly mis-aligned obverse die.
Dealer, collector - Coins, Banknotes, Watches, Stamps, Antiquities - Norantyki.com
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2869 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please crop your photos. I think they call that a MAD

Canada
10 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tskinny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My bad with my photos. Will adjust when I post later posts.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54539 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, slight die mis-alighment.

to the CCF!
Canada
10 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tskinny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So. Basically I've inherited a hunch of old coins. When I find coins like this. How should I put the collection together.
Is this coin worth putting into a binder? I think it's kind of neat. I guess is it value in the eye of the beholder with this hobby?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
8775 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not all keepers have to have a lot of value.
It is up to you what you want to collect but you could keep this as an example of a MAD until a more pronounced one comes along.
The ones to look for and are worth a premium are when the copy runs of the edge of the coin and part of it is missing.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48656 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a '9'. All '6' and '9's on Lincoln cents centers do not have close digits on them. They are all open.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
4398 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, minor MAD. Since part of the rim is so narrow, it isn't as tall and the coin appears thinner there. On the other side, it's thicker because it has what's called a "fin" from extra metal escaping into the gap between the die and the collar.
I have a small jar for minor errors like this. Feel free to keep it if you like it, but don't expect to make any money off it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1457 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Tskinny My standards for saving a coin for my collection are as follows:

1. Is it actually anything/what I think it is? No reason to save a coin that isn't actually any more than damaged change.

2. Is it rare? If not, hard to justify keeping it.

3. Is it visually appealing? (this one is very subjective and everyone will have different standards for this)

4. Does it illustrate something interesting about the minting process itself?

A coin doesn't necessarily have to meet all these standards to be worth saving, but I find these four questions to be useful when trying to decide. (Note: not meeting standard 1 is probably gonna be a deal breaker though).
My best finds:
1996 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/372066
Two 2000 WAMs in a box: http://goccf.com/t/375240
1995 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/376071#3225244
Edited by SamCoin
01/23/2021 3:29 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 197Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05