Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The 2003 Jefferson Nickel: The Last Of Its Kind

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 416Next Topic  
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1411 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  4:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
PCGS - The Jefferson nickel has been in use since 1938 and is a mainstay in United States circulation, joining the ranks of the Lincoln Cent and Washington quarter, launching in 1909 and 1932, respectively, and destined to become seemingly unending tributes to some of our nation's most important leaders. And while the Lincoln Cent and Washington quarter saw significant design modifications over the second half of the 20th century, the Jefferson nickel saw relatively little change during that same period.

Jefferson Nickel, 2003-S 5C, DCAM, PCGS PR70DCAM

During World War II, the national emergency required rations of everything from chocolate and beef to rubber and oil - and nickel, the latter of which was critical for making war artillery; so from late 1942 through 1945 the Jefferson Five-Cent was made from a special wartime alloy of 56% copper, 35% silver, and 9% manganese. In 1966, the "FS" initials of Jefferson nickel designer Felix Schlag were added onto the obverse just under Jefferson's bust. And in 1980, the "P" mint mark became a permanent fixture on Philadelphia-minted specimens after the first-ever P mint marks originally appeared on the wartime nickels 38 years earlier.

However, big changes were in store for the Jefferson nickel in the early 21st century, a time of ambitious coinage redesign initiatives that had also recently seen the launch of the 50 State Quarters in 1999 and the first Sacagawea dollars in 2000. The changes that came to the Jefferson nickel in 2004 were to honor the bicentennial of the Lewis and Clark Expedition, which saw explorers Meriwether Lewis and William Clark stake out the 828,000 square miles of land acquired in the Louisiana Purchase of 1803.

Read the Entire Article
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9374 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Of course, a worthy topic. If it were not for the Jefferson nickel, I'm not sure I would have remained a coin collector. There were some lean times in life but sometimes putting back a nickel only tied up 5 cents of my resources.
They kept me in the hobby.
I would say it is the one series that I'll always enjoy. That is the 1938 to 2003 series I'm talking about. I only keep up with the new Jefferson nickels because, well, just because. Not exiting at all.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Learn More...
United States
96136 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17230 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 2003's were tough to find in circulation at first. So tough that they became the first nickels to be sold by the mint in roll sets. (They also sold 2004 and 2005 roll sets for the Westward Journey, and 2006 roll sets) To this day I have never come across a 2003 nickel in circulation.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7000 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As my forum name might suggest ... I began my collecting journey attempting to collect the entire Jefferson nickel series 1938 to present via local bank coin rolls.

Thrilled that I was able to complete that quest several years ago - and that was my entry to collecting which has expanded my interests into several other coin pursuits.

It all began with the humble USA Jefferson nickel.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5276 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm also a fan of the US nickel!

More than once, I've thought about putting together a mint state type set of nickels beginning with the 1866 Shield nickel. Such a set remains a potential future project for me!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
01/28/2021 10:00 am
Learn More...
United States
96136 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  10:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It all began with the humble USA Jefferson nickel.

Quote:
More than once, I've thought about putting together a mint state type set of nickels beginning with the 1866 Shield nickel. Such a set remains a potential future project for me!
That would be amazing!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17230 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That would be amazing!

But not difficult and not that expensive in MS-63 or better. Most expensive piece would be the 1866 ($500?) and they drop in price rapidly in price after that one. Could probably put the whole set togeter in the $1,00 - $1,200 range. That's for 11 coins. (1866 w/rays, shield no rays, 1883 no cents, V with cents, 1913 Type 1 Buffalo, type 2 buffalo, copper nickel Jefferson, War Nickel, 2004, 2005, and 2006 to date)
Gary Schmidt
Learn More...
United States
96136 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But not difficult and not that expensive in MS-63 or better...
Looks like you just need a little push, commems.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5276 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But not difficult and not that expensive in MS-63 or better...

Quote:
Looks like you just need a little push, commems.

The last time I had a look at prices for the set in the grades I would pursue, the cost approached $3K - a bit more than the $1,200 suggested. It may come at some point, but I have other things on my list ahead of it at the moment!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
01/29/2021 12:55 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4742 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't much care for the current iteration of the nickel. I don't like the obverse. I think it should have kept the same obverse but an entirely new reverse.
Learn More...
United States
96136 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2021  12:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It may come at some point, but I have other things on my list ahead of it at the moment!
No rush.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 416Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05