Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Lincoln Memorial Pennies-"Finish"

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 449Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
219 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  2:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add navycapt1635 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
All,

I am curious about what I call "finishes" of some modern memorial pennies. I have many newer pennies (1980 to 2000) which I would say are four different "finishes." The first is a "clean" finish (pretty much the standard). The second is "grainy" with a consistent tiny grain pattern over the full surfaces. The third is is a consistent directional "brushed" finish all over the surfaces (not any evidence of cleaning as far as I can tell). Lastly, there is what I would describe as "marbled" with "extra metal?). A great example of this is the MS-68 example on the PCGS photo grade site. (I do realize that the value of these is relatively low except for errors and grades MS-66 and above.)

Could anyone please tell me if/how grading would be affected on those different from the regular matte finish?

Thanks.

Bill
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4740 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For starters I would guess that the 'grainy' finish you see are only on Zincolns. The cause of the grainy look and texture is zinc dust left behind during the copper plating process.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
1110 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with chafemasterj.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4664 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's PCGS's example of an MS68.

That just looks like a coin struck by later-stage dies.
Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add navycapt1635 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK. Thanks. I'm going to post some phots of some of these different types for grading advice later today.

:)

Bill
Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add navycapt1635 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All,

Here is one of the "marbled/excess ink" pennies I mentioned. Could someone please comment on what happened during minting and provided a grade estimate?

Thanks. (more of the different "finishes coming) :)

Bill

Learn More...
United States
98038 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bumps are formed from gas or dust trapped under the copper plating on the zinc planchet.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1410 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"The third is is a consistent directional "brushed" finish all over the surfaces "

Is the below what you mean? If so this is "roller lines". it happens when the sheet of metal is brought to spec thickness and uniformity, when the rollers have debris on them or getting worn out.

Edited by Big-Kingdom
01/26/2021 3:07 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4740 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  3:22 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Huh. I am not an expert. I learn ~at least~ one thing a day here. I find that last one you posted interesting. It looks like the 'stripes' cross the whole obverse from 10:00 to 4:00. The reverse in just the NE quadrant. I'll be curious what the pros have to say.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Edited by chafemasterj
01/26/2021 3:23 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1410 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found this one in 2005 and put it up since then, I was roll hunting pennies pretty hard that year trying to find nice business strike cents to keep since the 2005 mint set was satin finish that year.

There is a weaker area of it on both sides, on the left side right around 9 o'clock, between 7 and 10 o clock but the lines are still visible, the lighting and the camera didn't pick them up well.
the lines are uni-directional on a coin flip also. I went through all types of plating blisters, but this much and same directions on both sides blisters, even linear blisters is highly unlikely.
I've poked around on it with toothpicks enough times and it's not blisters, they are incused lines under the plating in the zinc I believe, not bubbles under the plating. nothing depresses or moves no matter what I push on and if you drag the toothpick you can feel the ridges. I was also thinking for a bit maybe an abused heavily abraded die pair after a clash,,, but the pattern seems wrong for that, and no sign of a clash or detail loss.

not saying it's a mint error or has any value either beyond an oddity in the planchet making process, there's no collector demand as far as I'm aware for something like this. LOL
Not sure if the lines left by the rollers were so severe the strike couldn't obliterate them, or if the strike was weak pressure, but still strong enough to strike up well.

Here's a Nice 2005 cent. but it's through the flip so the picture doesn't do it justice but it's all I have at the moment. I never found A 2005P this nice. Also my phone's camera is a potato, there's that also. hahaha

Edited by Big-Kingdom
01/26/2021 4:19 pm
Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add navycapt1635 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all. I have a few like the last one above, though not quite as nice as that. I'm still looking for some grading help with my "marbled/excess ink" penny (i.e., the effect of the surface finish on grade/value).

thanks,

Bill
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16938 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The "types" you are describing are simply artifacts of the minting process.

The lines are in the planchet caused by the roller mill when the sheets are rolled out. I started some discussion here: http://goccf.com/t/391620

You 1988D is a great example of plating blisters. A common occurrence with Zincolns. It affects the grade by reducing eye appeal. I've seen coins grade very high (65/66) with a surprising amount of bubbling - but not nearly as bad as yours. I would grade your coin 65RD.

Lincoln Cent Lover!
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 449Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05