Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1900 No H Large Cent Underweight + Questionable

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 391Next Topic  

Canada
5 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  4:37 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Telo27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,

I purchased a No H Large 1900 Cent recently and when I got it the weight came up short. I'm looking for opinions on if you think the coin looks counterfeit. It has a really shiny lustre to it and I only paid $40CAD for it (seller mentioned it was cleaned). It weighs .11 grams short which was my initial indication that it might be a fake. Also, there appears to be some straight mark along the edge of the rim on a spot. Please tell me your opinion.

Valued Member
Canada
77 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver Nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The N in CENT looks a little strange !MO. But I cant really tell if it is a counterfeit or not.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3400 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your coin is a 1900 and not an H. The mintmark is at the bottom between the leaf and the denticles. Your 1900 plain coin is a little harder to find than the H's, but still not scarce enough to have someone fake it. Take another large cent and put it on the same scale and see what it reads. What was your weight when you got the .11?
Valued Member
United States
152 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my eyes, it looks genuine enough (meaning nothing makes me question its authenticity) except the seller to you is probably right in that it might be cleaned with luster still present. If it is a fake, then it was done so well as to fool a person like myself.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
500 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  01:59 am  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Obviously you are a new collector. DO NOT buy shiny cents that have wear or marks all over. Any copper coin below AU will not be all shiny with even colour. That coin was not only cleaned, it was POLISHED to death ! I have used BRASSO to see what it does to rusted cents and it looks exactly like that. You can see that there was rust under the date; it was probably so heavily polished to get the rust off that it lost weight. Sorry but it has lost all numismatic value, and is only good as a filler or decoration.
A polished coin looks almost gold-coloured and has a matte (dull) finish. A dipped cent (dipped in silver cleaner) looks orange, all over. A real uncleaned shiny cent will have a slightly red tinge with a different look at various angles, like the one below.

Canada
5 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Telo27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi guys thanks for taking the time to tell me your opinions. Here attached is another photo of the queen as you can see it weighs .12 under 5.67 grams at 5.55. Terry your opinion makes the most sense that the polishing could have worn it down. I weighed several other large cents and the largest variance was .03 so .12 seems substantial even if polished.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1005 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my experience, 5.55 grams is well within tolerance for The Royal Mint, even for a mint state coin. One-cent coins were token coins, with the intrinsic metal worth much less than face value. The mint used much less care getting the planchets to the correct weight than they did for the silver and gold coins.
Valued Member
Canada
91 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bond632 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with bosox. The Royal Mint also would commission other mints at times to produce the penny, as they found it not profitable enough to make themselves.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 391Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05