Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2002 Deutschland 1 Euro Coin Star Error

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 145Next Topic  
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  3:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add slappywhyte to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Funniest thing I've seen on all the Euro coins I started looking at through my Celestron microscope.

It's almost as if the bottom of the star is being peeled off the coin leaving a thin layer on the coin.

Anyone seen anything like this?

Learn More...
United States
18653 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@slappy, yes we see this all the time on 1950s cents from the US. Evidently their use in gumball and other vending machines causes a consistent swiping of certain design features (e.g. the L in LIBERTY). I think it is safe to assume that some sort of mechanical damage has similarly swiped at the star on your Euro.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
38 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add slappywhyte to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Spence. Just a part-timer over here while my wife is stationed in Deutschland for a couple of years.
Learn More...
United States
18653 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice! Well enjoy your time in Germany. When they open, the ancient and medieval numismatic collections at some of the museums are amazing! So much history...

Also, its like 3 am in Germany right now--you should be going to sleep rather than chatting away here.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
38 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add slappywhyte to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Every once in a while, just gotta stay up to get things done.

Agreed on the museums. We've some good ones in Munich and Salzburg in their treasuries.

Interesting to note the market for American quarters, halfs, and Eisenhowers. All the silver years.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 145Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05