Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Does A Person Remove Coin From Plastic Capsule Air-Tite Safely?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 629Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
548 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  9:39 pm Show Profile   Check yellow88's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add yellow88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
How does a person remove coin from plastic capsule Air-Tite safely?

Thank you for any advice.
Pillar of the Community
1110 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On a table, on top of a soft cotton clean towel. Use an X-ACTO knife in the seam between the two halves of the plastic capsule and gently pry it apart. Easy peasy!
Pillar of the Community
United States
756 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

that's what I do, too. I keep one of those handy just for that reason.
Edited by MrPink2018
01/26/2021 10:11 pm
Valued Member
United States
192 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Might depend on the airtite but I've had a few that have a small gap in one part of the seam where you can fit a fingernail to pop it open a little. Then I run my fingernail around the seam to get the airtite evenly opened up and pull up slowly.

I don't like to brandish sharp things around coins, so I use my fingernails
Pillar of the Community
1110 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  11:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Might depend on the airtite but I've had a few that have a small gap in one part of the seam where you can fit a fingernail to pop it open a little. Then I run my fingernail around the seam to get the airtite evenly opened up and pull up slowly.

I don't like to brandish sharp things around coins, so I use my fingernails

Yes, forgot about that small notch. !
Pillar of the Community
United States
991 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  12:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use a dull pocket knife
Pillar of the Community
United States
548 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  03:26 am  Show Profile   Check yellow88's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add yellow88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dull pocket knife it is then!

Thank you all!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14865 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If those methods don't work for you , stand the capsule on end and using a Butchers Knife in the seam of the capsule and give it one hard blow with a 12 oz. Hammer .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
2951 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why be subtle? Place them behind your car/truck tires and back over them--slowly.
Valued Member
United States
330 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was JUST about to ask this newbie question myself! I put my first coin in a capsule yesterday and was surprised at the tight fit. It made me wonder if they are made to be re-opened or not!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
20084 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why not just leave the coins in them?
just carl
Learn More...
United States
95940 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are meant to be secure, but not impossible to open.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2891 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Just kidding. Sometimes they can be hard to open. But a sharp, not to sharp knife is you best bet
Edited by keith12
01/28/2021 2:09 pm
Valued Member
United States
330 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Why not just leave the coins in them?"

Dunno... I like to be ready for every contingency...

Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Getting them out is not often easy once you get the capsule open if the fit is a bit too snug. Might have to do pushing on the capsule from the outside. Just be patient as you don't want the coin to fly out (been there, done that). That's one reason to get the ring air-tites instead of the direct fits-easier to get the coin out.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18129 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Put a towel under the jaws of a vise as a safety net, and very slowly crush the capsule across the diameter.

The questions you really need to ask yourself is
why do I need to get it out of the capsule?, and in hindsight, is the alternative to keep it the capsule the best?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 629Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05