Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Beginner 'Ancient Type Set'- Your Opinions?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 596Next Topic
Page: of 2

Australia
41 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  07:31 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ag47 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have made a list of ancient coins for a beginner ancient collector, it covers the major geographical areas of ancient world. I know that one should focus on coins that they like and type-sets for ancient coins can be highly subjective compared to modern type-sets, regardless I made this, and want to know your opinion on what some other areas/coins that are affordable and interesting for an ancient beginner (who already has some background knowledge on numismatics in general).

This is my set:
1. Greek- an iconic drachma of Alexander III
2. Roman- an Imperial denarius
3. Persia- a coin from any of the Achaemenid/Parthia/Sassanians
4. A coin from the city of Alexandria
5. A coin from Judea
6. A coin from Byzantium
7. Arabic/Islamic coin
8. India- preferably a coin from a native Hindu kingdom
9. Chinese cash coin
10. Medieval Europe (can be from a region of your interest, I chose England).

The coin set below is worth around 200 usd.

Learn More...
United States
96035 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
5596 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice.

Quote:
your opinion on what some other areas/coins that are affordable and interesting for an ancient beginner

Well, you've got Roman Imperial and Provincial, so a drachm from the Republic may be in order.

Also, post-Alexander Greeks - they come in all price ranges based on what you are after: Asia Minor or Seleukid or Ptolemaic or Bactrian.

I think that, in a general set like this, I'd be sure to include a Sassanian drachm, rather than clumping the Sassanians into a general Persian grouping. I say that because their rise to power was such a political and cultural rupture.

I would also include a "Turkoman figural" bronze coin: Zengid, Artuqid, or Seljuq.
Edited by Bob L
01/27/2021 09:12 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2202 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Neat idea!.....
Agree with Bobs additions plus maybe and Iberic coin and a Celtic would add a bit more depth?

Love the diverse look
Learn More...
United States
23454 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  10:03 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Impressive start, don't forget the Indo-Greeks, Scythians, Mongols, etc.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4560 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  10:35 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome collection.

Cool premise.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
582 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent choice of coins! I would agree with Palouche, add Iberic and Celtic coins, there are affordable, beautiful coins available there.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3389 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Neat! IIRC there's a CCF member (forgot the nick) who's doing a One From Every Culture set, and it looks a lot like that except more granular.

"From the city of Alexandria" is a weird qualifier and intersects with some of the others. Would a 5th century Roman bronze from the Alexandria mint count? What about a 6th century Byzantine one?
Also, Greek coins have a lot of neat variety that doesn't involve Alexander III in any way. If I wanted to get an Ancient Greek coin I'd probably be looking for something that wasn't an Alexander III drachm. (Though admittedly IIRC they are one of the cheapest options in silver drachm size.)

Sadly I still don't have anything from the Achaemenids, Parthians, or Sassanians. I hope to get some of those coins some day.
I'm not sure what your Indian coin is. I have this, a bunch of debased Bull-and-Horsemen, one or two Soter Megas coins in terrible condition, and not much else; again, hope to get something better eventually.

Possible expansion options:
- Central Asia (Chach, Sogd...)
- Celtic (including Iberian)
- Roman provincial (intersects with Alexandria)
- Russian wire money (arguably not very ancient)
I can think of a bunch of other options, but for the most part they're sub-branches of already listed ones and/or don't really come cheap.
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
782 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sadly, and often most overlooked in my opinion, are the Nabatean coins. You can get them easy enough and the bronze are quite a finite set. Like the Judea coins they fall outside the normal Greek/Roman provincial categories although both groups did fall under Rome eventually.

http://www.kinghussein.gov.jo/his_nabateans.html
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3389 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You can get them easy enough and the bronze are quite a finite set.
Could I have a link? I've got about half a dozen types of Nabataean bronzes and I'm wondering how much is still left.

I'm not sure why I didn't mention Nabataea in my original expansion suggestion. Possibly because I thought it was too minor of a state.
A more generic "not quite Roman, not quite Greek, not quite Persian, not quite Egyptian" group could've been convenient, but IIRC it would for the most part have just included Nabataea, Judea (already listed for other reasons), and a few assorted types from elsewhere (mostly very obscure and/or very rare).
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
782 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well for this purpose the cornucopia or Nike bronzes are the easiest to get. So beyond what is on Wildwinds you have to go to the literature: This woman below says there are 344 coins in the catalog apparently published in 2020: (The reason I mention them at all is so many groups are Greek ruled and then Roman affiliated. But these Aramaic speakers like the Judeans are a more unique genesis of their coinage. There is also a good Coin Week discussion.)

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Bo...rp1-_-title2

https://coinweek.com/ancient-coins/...-nabataeans/

Pillar of the Community
United States
911 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Check Collects82's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe a Celtic something that predates the Roman arrival?

But a very cool set! Maybe I should do something like this with my 12 year old to make history more intriguing than Anime on the tv.
My hoard of '82s is up to 204! 218 BC x 1, 118 BC x 3, 18 BC x 1, 82 x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 2, 382 x 1, 582 x 2, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 4, 1082 x 1 1182 x 8, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 5, 1582 x 13, 1682 x 15, 1782 x 57, 1882 x 49, 1982 x 33
Learn More...
United States
18642 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ag, I agree that this is a neat idea. One thought that I have is rather than expanding outward to ever more minor dynasties, consider starting to go deeper in just one or two areas. For example, you might discover that you really enjoy all of the intrigue and court politics of Imperial Rome that comes with collecting different emperors. Or perhaps, you dig deeper into the hammered coinage of England. In the end, there is no "wrong" answer and collecting what you like is a very personal opinion. I hope that you will keep us updated as you progress in your collection.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18130 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A nice introductory example set of ancient World coins.

Could also include Bosporus and Cappodocia early post Roman coins of Europe, early Burmese coins, coins of the Indian Magahda Murayan and Kidarite kingdoms, the Chola Kings of Ceylon.

Combined with other suggestions for inclusion, the set of coins pictured could well double in size. Need lots of research before extending into these areas.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4010 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have had this same notion for quite some time, but it never got organized properly. I am thinking of one for every major dynasty/ kingdom/ empire, which would be more than yours which are on a much broader scale. Lacking a precise definition of any of these terms, how about enough coins so that 90% (or some other %) the population could have handled them?(for those that used coins).
Valued Member
United States
440 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Check Victor's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Victor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would have to include something Ostrogth or Vandal

OSTROGOTHS. A.D. 493- 553. 20 Nummi or Half Follis (23x24mm 6.5gm) Municipal issue. Rome mint. INVICTA ROMA, helmeted and draped bust of Roma right. REV: Palm tree; to left and right, eagle standing outward, heads facing inward; in ex. XX. COI 83 (Athalaric); MEC 110.

Ex Numismatik Naumann, Auktion 69 (2 September 2018) lot 453; Numismatica Ars Classica 93 (24 May 2016), lot 1119; Numismatica Ars Classica Autumn 1995, lot 711.

VANDALS.
Municipal coinage of Carthage.
Circa 480-533
42 Nummi (27mm 12.7g ). Class 1. Carthago standing facing, crowned with corn wreath and holding three grain ears in each raised hand; N X LII, above; all within laurel wreath with large central jewel. MEC 34-38; BMC Vandals 3.
Edited by Victor
01/28/2021 10:36 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 596Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05