Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Finish On This Buffalo 5c

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 276Next Topic  
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  12:09 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add msb to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello. I recently acquired this 1913 Buffalo nickel Type 1 with a PCGS Holder (AU58). I don't know lot about Buffalos, but noted the Matte-like finish on this coin. It is quite distinctive from my other Buffalo Head nickel and I found this finish quite attractive. Anyhow, I have been reading more about the Matte Proofs and wondered whether this might be one of these although I would have expected the PCGS holder to reflect that. Thanks in advance for any insights. Just curious.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1960 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  12:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one is a business strike, not a proof. Proofs will have a very strong strike, EDS given the low mintage and squared off rims. The details would be much sharper on a proof.

The overall matte finish does not vary from a business strike as a brilliant proof will, but is noticeable. The overall appearance on yours, more noticeable on the obverse, is due to a later die state. Worn dies and weak strikes are pretty typical on early buffs. Yours also shows mismatched die states, the obverse being in a later die state than the reverse. Again, typical in the early years.

Edit: for grammar.... past my bedtime!

Here's an example, not my coin, graded PR67+ by PCGS

Edited by Ty2020b
01/28/2021 01:02 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
7809 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  02:26 am  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Man the reverse is killer on that proof, wow.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  08:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add msb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Ty2020b for such an informative and helpful response! I definitely learned a few things.
Valued Member
Virgin Islands (U.S.)
63 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  11:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add STTScott to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems to me that this coin has been slabbed and inspected. Seems to me again that an actual reputable grading service would note whether it was a matte proof. OTOH, it's alao probably a good thing that reputable services look at the grade rather than the condition. My one quesion from your post might be why is the obverse matte but the reverse has a bit of shine to it?
Pillar of the Community
United States
7809 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The obverse looks acid treated but it got a straight grade...
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1960 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The acid treated effect on the obverse is due to the later die state mentioned earlier. Metal flow lines in areas of the die with more deterioration. Not noticeable on the reverse due to a mismatched die pair, and the reverse exhibiting an earlier die state (hard to tell from the pics, maybe EMDS-MDS).

Where's fortcollins!! I'm sure he can break it down far better than I.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 276Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05