Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: What If? 1923 Deceased Presidents Coinage

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 215Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5227 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  07:47 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A few years back, I posted a "What if?" about the potential for a series of coins to honor US presidents. (You can find it here: 1936 Presidential Coins.)

Within the discussion of the House Hearing that was convened to discuss the long list of commemorative coin proposals for 1936, I included a quote from LW Hoffecker who spoke on behalf of the American Numismatic Association ( ANA). He stated, "Our association [the ANA] has brought the question up that it might be a good idea to get out a series of presidential coins, and to get out three or four annually until you bring the Presidents up to date."

This was not the first time such an idea had been floated in Congress, however. In 1922, during the Second Session of the 67th Congress, Representative Isaac Clinton Kline (R-PA) introduced a bill that proposed:

"the metal coinage of the United States of America shall bear on the obverse side of all coins in relief the bust of the last deceased President of the United States, supported by a scroll bearing the name of such President, with the words "In God we trust" above, the year of coinage in Arabic figures below, and thirteen stars taking up the remainder of the space encircling the rim of the coin; the reverse side to bear the coat of arms and motto of the United States, surrounded by the words "United States of America," and in plain words the denomination of the coin:

Provided, That where two or more persons who have been President of the United States shall die within a year of each other, the memorial coinage here provided shall cover a period of at least one year for each:

Provided also, That to extend this memorial coinage back to the beginning of the Republic,there shall be a six months' coinage for each former President, beginning with Washington and coming down to the last deceased President."

If the bill had passed, the design changeover would have gone into effect on January 1, 1923.

The far-reaching scope of the bill would have defined the obverse and reverse of every circulating denomination for decades - until a new coinage bill was passed! To honor two past, deceased presidents per year from George Washington through Calvin Coolidge, who died in 1933, would have taken about 15 years; Coolidge was the 30th president. (It would likely have been 1938 when Coolidge first appeared on US coins.) Then, the coins would have continued on with the Coolidge design until the next passing of a US president (FDR in 1945).

Think about the bill's impact: it would have meant no Peace dollar beyond 1922 and no Washington quarter at all (at least as we know it). If, after catching up, US coinage continued depicting the most recently deceased president, there would not have been a Jefferson nickel (at least as we know it), and the bill would have brought about the premature end to the Lincoln Cent, Indian Head/"Buffalo" Nickel, Winged Liberty Head/"Mercury" Dime, Standing Liberty quarter and Walking Liberty half dollar series!

All of President Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt's efforts to raise the artistic quality of US coinage would have been wiped away in one fell swoop! One can only imagine the potential negative impact of the disappearance of all those coin designs on the popularity of collecting US coins!

Upon introduction, the bill was referred to the House Committee on Coinage, Weights, and Measures. The bill was never reported out of Committee and so was never considered by the Whole House or Senate. It seems unlikely the bill would have passed even if it was favorably reported out of Committee, but you never know!

I, for one, am happy the bill went nowhere!

Of course, the US did eventually honor each of its past, deceased presidents on a coin - the President $1 Series that began in 2007. While I'm not one who rails against the designs on these coins, I know that I wouldn't want them on every denomination in my pocket!

Here are images of the first and last (as of now) of the 2007-present Presidential dollar Coins:

George Washington, 1st President

George H.W. Bush, 41st President

Presidential Dollar Series, Common Reverse

Learn more about US commemorative coin history here: Read More: Commems Collection

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
United States
487 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  08:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nickels_rule to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Me too! Thanks for the informative article.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54637 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, never knew any of that!
Learn More...
United States
95801 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, commems!

Now that is what I call a game changer!

If I got this right, we would have had a Reagan coin for two years after ten years of Nixon. Reagan would have been followed by twelve years of Ford who will have been replaced by GHW Bush two years ago (and be on our coins today).

Ford... a man who was president less than three years would have been on a coin for twelve!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4521 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  11:46 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Me too. I couldn't imagine how different things would be.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6987 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is an amazing piece of history commems and again kudos to your independent research that somehow methodically and repeatedly digs up these obscure facts.

Then - to your due credit and acclaim - your writing style to explain all the history in a simple clear way truly capstones your exemplary ability to community your findings to all of us.

Just saying - who else really researches the details of a committee meeting from the 2nd session of Congress in 1922?

Quote:
In 1922, during the Second Session of the 67th Congress, Representative Isaac Clinton Kline (R-PA) introduced a bill that proposed:

You are an amazing treasure commems and I am so thankful that you so generously share with us.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5227 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If I got this right, we would have had a Reagan coin for two years after ten years of Nixon. Reagan would have been followed by twelve years of Ford who will have been replaced by GHW Bush two years ago (and be on our coins today).

Ford... a man who was president less than three years would have been on a coin for twelve!

Quite a scenario to ponder! Glad it's not reality! (FWIW: The image of Lyndon Johnson would have "graced" our coins for 20+ years!)

Quote:
Just saying - who else really researches the details of a committee meeting from the 2nd session of Congress in 1922?

Are you saying I'm crazy?! (Just saying - I agree! )

@All: Thank you very much for the positive feedback and very kind words - always appreciated!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
95801 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2021  12:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
FWIW: The image of Lyndon Johnson would have "graced" our coins for 20+ years!
Oh my!

I had to look... It also means the Ike would have ran for four years less than the Ike.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 215Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05