Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Needed To Get Along With Proof Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 244Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...

United States
174 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  10:57 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Kcm to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In the course of the last few years, I've gained some familiarity with the nuances of business strikes. Proof coins are yet an alien species. I don't know what's normal or what's unexpected. And were I to identify something unexpected, I'd then need to know is it anything special?

I did not broach the mint seal to photograph these. I hope I don't need to in order to learn. My main questions are those above. Is this degree of device duplication to be commonly expected in examining proof coins? If not, is it anything special to collectors?

Kevin

Pillar of the Community
United States
1341 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  09:30 am  Show Profile   Check Kloccwork419's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Kloccwork419 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, its silver. Looks normal with a bit of Machine Doubling and its great looking coin. Nice pics

Is that green/blue toning from the light? I cant ever keep mint sets in mint sets.
Edited by Kloccwork419
01/29/2021 09:31 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1722 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
According to the US Mint, proof coins are struck at least twice. I don't know if this applies to all proofs ever made, but what you are seeing could be an artifact of that. I don't see any die doubling.
Learn More...
United States
95945 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2021  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 244Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05