Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help Finding Coin Shelf

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 510Next Topic  
United States
44 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  3:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add AlmostUncirculated to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has ideas of where I could get a plastic or metal shelf for my coin folders/albums/books since the only safe wood shelves are quite expensive I believe since it has to be out of solid mahogany and such. If there is a link on Amazon you could send that would be preferable.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15189 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm assuming you want a shelf or two mounted on your wall or just to lay on top of a desk . If you have a Lowes or Home Depot near you they will have anything you want . BTW
a wooden shelf doesn't have to be Mahogany , almost any wood will hold up to the weight if properly installed .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1909 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you want a "Ready to hang" shelf or are you able to build your own and put a finish on it?
Everything can change in just one day.........
Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Pillar of the Community
United States
5230 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
T-BOP mentioned "weight" which was the first thing that came to my mind.
Coin accumulations get heavy VERY quickly.
IMO plastic would NOT be a good choice.
Metal would seem reasonable.
But there are any number of wood shelves that could easily do the job.
Look around for second hand furniture places; could get something good for not much money.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18429 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not keen on the idea of a shelf for a coin collection.
A larger coin collection can be quite heavy, and thus a shelf mounted to a wall could be pulled out of it's wall fixings, unless those fixings are directly attached to the timber framing behind the wall. You will have the borrow or hire a stud finder to locate the studs behind the wall.

That is why books are stored in a cabinet or on structurally independent shelving as in a library situation.
Cheap independent shelving can be bought from a store that sells flat pack furniture.

The other major problem for storing a coin collection on a shelf is that is on obvious display for an intruder or home invader to see.
My collection is stored out of obvious sight.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1909 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
and thus a shelf mounted to a wall could be pulled out of it's wall fixings, unless those fixings are directly attached to the timber framing behind the wall. You will have the borrow or hire a stud finder to locate the studs behind the wall.

Yes, you'll have to screw the shelf brackets thru the wall and into the studs, and if you have painted drywall you can simply find the stud nails with a small, strong magnet
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
United States
44 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  12:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AlmostUncirculated to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reason I was talking about wood is because I heard you need solid mahogany wood or other wood that are deemed safe for coins and that wood just stained mahogany obviously doesn't have the properties of actual mahogany wood. Because certain woods and how they are treated can damage your collection. Otherwise I would perfectly fine buying a wooden shelf.

This is what I read: https://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v13n12a11.html
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15189 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well if you want to follow this guys advice , a real Mahogany shelf (S) is going to cost you a pretty Penny , pun intended . How much weight are you estimating your books ,albums and coins to weigh ? What ever wood you use , just do not stain or paint it . Leave it natural.
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1909 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Because certain woods and how they are treated can damage your collection. Otherwise I would perfectly fine buying a wooden shelf.

If you read that article closely the guy is more talking about the stains and finishes you put on wood than the actual wood type itself. I take it he likes dark wood so he chose mahogany and puts just a water based sealer on it. If you like a lighter colored wood shelf use oak or maple. If you like a darker colored wood shelf use the mahogany or black walnut. And just seal them with the same type water based sealer. Just don't use wood that has been stained a different color than it naturally is.

United States
44 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AlmostUncirculated to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think when I meant shelf I meant closer to like a bookcase. I was wondering where I could buy one that I don't have to do work to. It doesn't have to be wood it could be a metal one. Basically something I would have to just assemble the parts and not have to do anything to them after.
Valued Member
Canada
86 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fefimo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Home Depot,Lowe's,Costco all carry heavy duty industrial shelving/bookcases.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7893 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  12:59 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The other major problem for storing a coin collection on a shelf is that is on obvious display for an intruder or home invader to see.
My collection is stored out of obvious sight.

I like this one

EHAPk97Mp5s

By my favorite safe company Fort Knox.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2˘ variety collector.

See my want page: http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=140440
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10953 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  12:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That shelf is super cool. I like the security by obscurity aspect of it, and it's really well done. Very "Kingsman" like.

Personally, I have a giant, bolted-down safe for all the stuff I don't want to walk away, but the downside is that it's harder to get to those collections you want to view every once in a while and enjoy when it's all locked up. You just have to strike a good balance of livability, enjoyability, and security when it comes to safes and your collections.

Lock up your precious metals for sure, and your expensive coins. Me, I display my modern US coin albums on a bookshelf. Yeah, I'll lose some good money (pun intended) if they walk away but I'm ok with the tradeoff for accessibility.

AND, as much as we loathe to do it, you have to spend money on your collection besides the actual collection. You get to a certain dollar value and insurance becomes a serious consideration. You have $1k in Ikes? Why wouldn't you spend the money to give them the display they deserve (whether it's a Dansco album, a Lighthouse mahogany box, etc.) Safe deposit box for your AGEs? Perhaps. Or a razor wire perimiter around your house.

Security is a very personal matter and the options are limitless. You just have to do what is right for you. Lots of experienced folks here for input, but again, at the end, it's your call.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 510Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.43 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05