Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What's The Deal With Nickels?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 584Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
107 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2021  4:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Reedbeard08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

US citizen here, so pardon my accent

A couple of different coin stores in my area had a disproportionately large quantity of Canadian nickels. Any particular reason for the glut of this particular coin? Varieties, accessibility, and beavers seem like good reasons to me. Any others you all can think of? Thanks for weighing in!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3595 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2021  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Might want to pose that question to the shop owners.

Not wanting to divulge your location, but are you located in northern Louisiana, or within 90 minutes of the US-Canada border?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1689 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2021  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The years are important there's a few varieties in the 50's that demand premiums 51, 53, 54 the best thing to do is invest in a Canadian coin book Charlton would likely benifet you the best.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18356 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2021  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It may be that they are pure nickel Nickels.
The Canadian Government has withdrawn most of the pure nickels from circulation, and thus the pure nickel coins have become a little scarce.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
631 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2021  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1922-1952 pure nickel. the rest iron nickel plated except some of the WWII war. Seem to me those stores have pocket exchange coins. To find some rarity between it is possible, but you look of a probability of 1 mill to 1.

If they sell you 2cUS maybe 3cUS a coins take the deal you will not lose and prepare to work a lot and learn a lot, and have at least one basic Charlton.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8345 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2021  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1922-1952 pure nickel. the rest iron nickel plated except some of the WWII war.
Not quite true.
Pure nickel 5 cent coins were struck in the following years:
All 1922-1941
Some of 1942
All 1946-50
Some of 1951
All of 1955-81
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Valued Member
United States
107 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2021  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Reedbeard08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My area doesn't seem to have any obvious connection to Canada. I remember seeing a bunch of '50s dates, so it may have been the pure nickel-ness they were advertising. I'll ask next time I'm in. Thanks for the info.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1190 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2021  11:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It could be that someone sold a bunch of canadian coins, the silver ones went to the melting pot, all that was left was the nickles.
Canada
28 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2021  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bigal12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Reedbeard 08 ,no problem with your accent ,how`s mine ?
Funny intro ,nice to have some humor added .
Grab them early nickels if cheap.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 584Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05