Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2019 Idaho State Quarter...md Or DD...so Confused

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 274Next Topic  

United States
37 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2021  02:30 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NaNa7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I know you are probably saying you saw this coin before and your right but this time I have totally different question. I always relook at coins sometimes as many as a dozen times. While looking at the pictures of this coin I noticed something on the reverse so I looked at coin again under magnification. First question is can a coin have md or dd on only 2 letters of a word? I was also told that md is flat right or wrong? With this in mind I'm looking at the N and it looks like md but yet the top serifs look raised like dd. I'm so confused. Also are all the raised lines gouges and is this normal for this coin?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1306 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2021  02:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That Coin Dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Machine Doubling looks like a Doubeld die on incuse devices. And yes, a doubeld die can appear on only 2 letters. Sometimes even less.
Keep track of your collection: https://en.ucoin.net/?ref=Ux0E0if
My collection: https://en.ucoin.net/uid112788
A friendly coin dude that is here for you! A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification. I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
My best US coin find: http://goccf.com/t/387871
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50648 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2021  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The incuse and raised devices are affected just opposite each other. How?
Doubled dies on raised devices, the devices are enlarged by hub doubling on the dies. The Machine Doubling reduces with the Machine Doubling. They spread is seen on the centers of the devices.
Doubled dies on incuse devices. The incuse devices are raised on the die. So when the slightest machine happens the doubling is enlarged. On a doubled die on incuse devices happens they devices are reduced in size. This can happen before/after the strike.

On these quarters, they are the dies are created with the single squeeze hubbing process. So the hub doubling will be seen on the central areas of the design. So on the States quarters and the ATB Quarters, the DDO will be on the ear and left side of the motto devices:

Note the image on the right? That is showing the enlarging of the raised devices.
On the incuse areas they are not in the area for the DDRs to appear. The central area is where they are found.

But I've not shown how the incuse doubled dies are reduced in size. Well there is a DDR on a Shield cent. The DDR is seen on both the raised and the incuse devices Illustrating my point. I've made side by sides to show the normal and the DDR examples:
Raised devices:

Incuse Devices DDR (reduced in size)

All these devices are on that DDR. 2013-P DDR-02

Hope this helps.

CoopHome : Raised and incuse devices affected by doubled dies. The differences
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
02/02/2021 10:04 am
United States
37 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2021  01:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NaNa7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you...I think I finally got it
Pillar of the Community
United States
5609 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2021  10:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think I finally got it

We've all been there
Pillar of the Community
United States
830 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2021  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add brenpickle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop, awesome explanation and I always love your pictures. Bookmarking this just to look back at the pictures later. I was wondering if you have a site with the pictures?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50648 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2021  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one. Check out the thread that has a lot of my subject covered with thousands of images. When you see CoopHome Click on it and it will take you there. (Looks like we are up to 4 pages now of comments and topics covered.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50648 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So when trying to search the new coins, the doubled dies will be in a different location. Not on the outside edge as they were in the past. The new area to look for these is on the centers of the coin:

These areas will show doubling rising above the design or fields on these areas. Take a look at Wexler's site and see where the doubled dies can be found. There are in the central area. The explanation why is on these images above. The kiss location that the hub is starting, then snapping into the correct alignment. The kiss area is where the distortion/rising of the doubling will appear.
Richard S. Cooper

Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 274Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05