Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Contemporary Counterfeit Buffalo Nickel

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 326Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2021  9:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Nickelcollectr85 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So a few months I picked up an interesting find at a local antique store that I know the description wasn't correct but I've seen these in books but never in person. This Buffalo nickel was labeled as an error coin but the mushy details and lack of obverse of the coin leads me to believe it to be a contemporary counterfeit. I would say it wasn't to deceive the coin collector thinking it to be a rare date or a one sided error coin but to pass in circulation without being noticed of counterfeiting. At the first glance it appears to be a genuine coin but the color just isn't correct leading me to believe it's made out of a different metal.

Edited by Nickelcollectr85
02/14/2021 10:00 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56001 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2021  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please show us the obverse for a start.
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2021  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nickelcollectr85 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry coinfrog image didn't go into it correctly for some reason thanks for the heads up
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1685 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2021  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
but to pass in circulation without being noticed of counterfeiting

Kinda hard to not notice if you tried to pass a handful of one sided nickels. Couldn't this just be PMD? Maybe the weight would add some insight? Just wondering
Everything can change in just one day.........

Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Edited by Rothery
02/14/2021 11:10 pm
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2021  11:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nickelcollectr85 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Here's an image of the weight on my coin scale. Regular nickels have the weight of 5 grams..
Valued Member
United States
120 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2021  05:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numiscrat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Rothery. Why go halfway on the counterfeit? The obverse looks like a slug.

Looks like the obverse was ground/filed/sanded off.

Underweight. Plus, in the photo, I believe I see zones with lots of parallel scratches, and the direction of the scratches changes from one zone to another. That is exactly what happens when you try to grind something flat and change cutting direction and don't apply pressure consistently while shifting things around.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
9426 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2021  08:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lack of a rim on the Obverse tells me that it has been ground down.
You can't have a rim on only one side. This would also account for the lighter weight.
Just a damaged Buffalo nickel.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 326Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05