Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1879 IHC Oddity / Expertise, If You Please?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 323Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...

United States
238 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  07:52 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Kcm to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Backstory: A few days past, in my post, I mentioned Ed's collection, a complete IHC album I purchased in the late '70's. Mind in absentia, guided by Ed, I put the finishing touches to it by adding the few missing keys.

@suipakpaikungfu asked me to post up the whole thing on CCF. I hadn't visited Ed's collection in a while. @suipakpaikungfu reawakened my erstwhile plan to explore the five oddities Ed placed in five unlabeled slots at bottom of the last page.

The oddities are dated 1862, 1872, 1879, 1900, and 1908. I'll post one coin at a time in hope that - having lost both beloved Ed and Ed's wisdom to the march of time - I might recover insight from experts on CCF. I posted 1862 and 1872 earlier; 1879 is appended to this post; 1900 and 1908 will follow in separate posts.

My 1879 question is: besides the obvious circulation wear, what else do expert eyes see on this coin?

I'm really appreciating the learning I'm collecting. Thank you!

Kevin

Given the option of choosing between a very interesting coin or a rather valuable one, I'd choose the former every time . My vexation lies in the fact that the two so often coincide.
Edited by Kcm
02/17/2021 07:54 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50107 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The affected area on the obverse is showing a lamination error. (Partial peeling of the lamination) What causes lamination on coins and split coins? You can read this link to learn more on this subject.
http://goccf.com/t/393109#3363777

Also the right edge of the obverse seems like a weaker strike on that area. (1:00-6:00) So you might check the edge of the coin to see if it is thinner on that side. If so then the weight maybe under on this coin. But that is what I'm seeing your coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
4653 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  08:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with coop that it is lamination issue.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
238 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kcm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@coop,

First, thank you. May I ask, is the chaos in the region of "STATES" just more of the same (lamination}? Or is it a likely consequence of your weak strike discussion? I'll examine the thickness question you raise, weigh the coin and report back.

Kevin
Given the option of choosing between a very interesting coin or a rather valuable one, I'd choose the former every time . My vexation lies in the fact that the two so often coincide.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50107 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it were a lamination, you would be where it peeled. This doesn't show it. First try the weight and determine the loss (possibly the lamination will also reduce the weight as part of the metal is missing) but seeing the edge might help more.

Views like these might help to see if the edge is normal, or it is was a weaker strike? (Note the feathers also look shorter in height?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55901 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting laminations for sure!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
238 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kcm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As uusual @coop makes for a good read.

Kevin
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50107 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2021  07:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks thinner. Is just this area affected? Is so, it maybe a tapered planchet, causing the weaker strike on that area of the coin. But if the entire edge all around is like this, that could be coin wear. But it is probably just that area that is affected.
Richard S. Cooper

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
238 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2021  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kcm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@coop

To my untrained gaze, thinness seems confined to just that 2 to 6 o'clock arc. Amazon will deliver a digital caliper on Sunday. I'll remember into which "safe place" I stored the one I already own by Saturday.

I think a verdict will washout as the tapered planchet you theorize. Consider the reverse's corresponding discrepancy apparent in the two oak leaf wreaths (as you just caused me to do).

Be advised I'd have not the slightest qualm over sending a coin(s) to you for hands-on inspection. Just tell me how to do so -- if that seems a good idea.

Kevin
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50107 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2021  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the offer, but I feel we have covered all we need to see.
Richard S. Cooper

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
238 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kcm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know if this is a dead thread, but Amazon came through with my caliper. The coin measures 0.05 inches thick no matter where I measure.

Kevin

BTW I benefited greatly while the thread lasted. Thank you all.
Valued Member
United States
190 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IsThisAnything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop always brings some great information. That's a beautiful lamination error! Congrats!
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 323Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05