Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1983 D (Quarter) "In God We Trust" Error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 210Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  09:49 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Kcrutcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi! I'm née here. I just wanted to add that I too have a 1983 D quarter with the same error on the In god we trust.
I am completely new to this all so I am unsure but I also think I can see double stamping on the G, the W and possibly the B in liberty. As well as an error in the outer rim being offset to the left possibly. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Learn More...
United States
95801 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your reply was split into its own topic for the proper attention.

Reference Topic: http://goccf.com/t/322352
Pillar of the Community
Canada
8802 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

If it was doubling, all the letters would be doubled, not just a couple of them.
Your coin is suffering from wear and some damage.
The outer rim is what is known as MAD (misaligned die.) Not off enough to warrant any premium.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37658 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF and
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48718 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Vending machines take a big toll on quarters. This one is also showing a MAD (Mis-Aligned-Die) on the obverse, but these are only collectable when the devices fall over the edge of the coin:

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
3969 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice sized MAD for a Quarter

to CCF...good luck on future finds,have fun and keep asking when needed...
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Valued Member
United States
201 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  11:15 pm  Show Profile   Check Diy89Nurm7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Diy89Nurm7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
as well.

Thanks for the post. Great place to learn about what we have and think is -- or don't know is -- valuable.

If the coin was worth grading otherwise, would a TPG automatically notate the MAD? Would they need to be paid a little extra? Would they be silent altogether?

Stay well,
Diy89Nurm7

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48718 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No premium for this. Save your money for a coin that would deserve to be put in a slab. I've never sent one off to be graded, and pay nothing extra for a slab. I feel in most cases, they are a waste of expense.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
320 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF

Nice quarter.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kcrutcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies!
I was just curious, had no plans of sending it off anywhere. I just started collecting coins within the past couple weeks after my seven year old noticed a "strange penny" as he called it. I was very intrigued so we have been paying more attention to change we get here and there. I am actually (for lack of better words) just barely past the "limit" of being considered legally blind, so even with my microscope I have a hard time seeing and comparing while trying to learn different errors and such on coins. I appreciate the insight though!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37658 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  04:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is great that you are encouraging your little one to get into the hobby. Here is a great site to learn from http://www.error-ref.com/
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 210Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05