Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1946 P Washington DDO FS-101 BU

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 296Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1574 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  8:37 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've been looking for this one and the DDR for the year. The DDR is incredibly rare. Finally scored the DDO. Not many of these graded by PCGS either. Looks like less than 15 in BU. It has a funny spread on the R of LIBERTY and IGWT. What do you think?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50648 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know if I would call this a doubled die, but it is an issue with a later die state that struck the coin. Very nice coin though.
http://www.varietyvista.com/09b%20W...6PDDO002.htm
Note the hub doubling on that die number.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
02/20/2021 8:43 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4886 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool find! I've also been on the hunt for the DDR which I agree is crazy rare. This is a very nice example of the DDO and I haven't seen a lot of these out there.

-CH27
Collector of U.S. varieties and errors
Pillar of the Community
United States
1574 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks CH. and coop they have that listed wrong on vv. It's listed as DDO #3 on their site.

http://www.varietyvista.com/09b%20W...6PDDO003.htm
Learn More...
United States
19135 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really nice condition @will!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56656 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great find for sure!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1863 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's listed as DDO #3 on their site.

That's the one for sure - on an exceptional looking Quarter also!
Everything can change in just one day.........
Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50648 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Which one is the real DDO?

This is the listing for coin #3 Listed as FS-101 Wrong two times. Same die wear.
https://www.PCGS.com/cert/26838915
A second one with the same die wear listed as FS-101
https://www.PCGS.com/cert/84931188

Coin #2:
https://www.PCGS.com/cert/38687483
Correct die number.
So they have three listed and only one that is correct.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Edited by coop
02/20/2021 9:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1999 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a beauty Will !
This post jarred a memory . I thought I had some 1946 doubled quarters . I had to dig a while and found that I didn't have an example of the DDO but it looks like I scored the DDR , some years ago by the look of the price on the 2x2 it came in. I had no idea it was that uncommon .

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50648 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The WDDO-001, is a match to CONECA DDO-002.

Quote:

1946 25 WDDO-001 "Best Of" Variety
Description: A Class I CW spread shows on IGWT, LIBERTY, the bottom of the ribbon, the designer's initials, and the date.
Die Markers: Obverse: A die scratch runs SW from the underside of the nose. Two short strong die scratches run SW from the top left side of the queue. Reverse: A die crack runs from the N in UNITED through the eagle's right wing to the upper U in QUARTER.
Submitted By: L&C Coins
Cross References: CONECA: 2-O-I

I just checked Wexler's site and he matches the CONECA DDO-003, to his WDDO-003.

Quote:

1946 25 WDDO-003 "Best Of" Variety
Description: Extremely strong extra thickness shows on IGWT, LIBERTY, the date, the designer's initials, and the lower queue.
Die Markers: Obverse: A die scratch runs NW from the rim between the 1 and the 9 in the date. A short die scratch runs west from the top of the E in LIBERTY. A NW/SE die scratch can be found in the field to the left of the base of the bust. Two parallel die scratches run SW from the lower left of the first T in TRUST. Reverse: The reverse is a minor doubled die listed in the Wexler Doubled Die Files as 1946 25 WDDR-002. A CW spread from a pivot at about 6:oo shows on USA.
Submitted By: Jim Lafferty
Cross References: CONECA: 3-O-II+VI

But no mention of cross matches to the FS numbers. I checked in volume 5, that they were switching die numbers on theirs in volume 6 on the next series. (which maybe out now)
So it looks like at different times the FS-101 was one and then changed to a different die, with the same number. Who knew?
Richard S. Cooper

Edited by coop
02/21/2021 2:31 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50648 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are images of the FS-101 take 2. With side by sides of a normal coin. WDDO-001, DDO-002:

CoopHome : 1946 DDO Quarter WDDO-001, DDO-002, FS-101 (second edition)
Richard S. Cooper

Edited by coop
02/21/2021 3:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1574 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stoneman that coin is definitely worth attribution. I think there are four graded and one sold for big bucks!

And coop there seems to be some confusion with this die on the internet. It's not listed on Wexlers and has an awesome spread if you look at my pictures. There are only 14 graded by PCGS and this coin matches the three that have true view.
Edited by Willburton
02/21/2021 9:56 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 296Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05