Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New To Coins, Would Appreciate Help Identifying This One!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 322Next Topic  
United Kingdom
3 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  06:10 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Romanocoinio to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

It says on the online seller that this is a coin of Antoninus Pius, but from my looking at various emperors busts and coinage online, it appears to me to resemble Elagabalus the most, any help for my (highly inexperienced) self would be appreciated as I'm trying to build my collection on the five Good Emperors. I'm not sure if it is fake either so somebody with more experience please feel free to share your opinion. Thank you for the time.
Learn More...
United States
18600 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@rom, first welcome to CCF. Second, I'm going to move your thread over to the ancients section of CCF so that we can get some good eyes on it. In the meanwhile, please post the weight of this piece. Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United Kingdom
3 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  07:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Romanocoinio to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's recorded online as: 2.7g weight and 20mm diameter.
Thanks for the help.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2199 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  08:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Edited by Palouche
02/21/2021 08:37 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
735 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MartiVltori to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree. Caracalla.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4494 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  09:56 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the Forum. You've come to a phenomenal place to share and learn. Explore and Enjoy!
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Learn More...
United States
23451 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  10:13 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community

A lovely example of a not so nice emperor.
United Kingdom
3 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Romanocoinio to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the nice words everyone and warm welcome, I'm definitely excited to make and view more posts in the future. After considering some wise opinions in this topic and further comparison and research, it definitely does appear to be Caracalla and not Antoninus Pius (as advertised by the seller) nor does it appear to be Elagabalus as I had thought myself, definitely interesting nonetheless although I am on the hunt for some good examples of the five Good emperors and not a somewhat bad one as mentioned previously. The hunt continues!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2199 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's my 5 good emperors that I completed last year, hopefully this will help you distinguish between the portraits..
Pillar of the Community
United States
1155 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There were 3 emperors named Antoninus Pius. One of them we typically call Caracalla and another Elagabalus. The first Antoninus has a distinctive portrait and usually presents no problem. A young Caracalla can sometimes resemble Elagabalus, especially on provincials. This one I am confident is Caracalla.

I will add that there are a great many fakes in the market of common denarii. One has to be very careful. That the seller listed this as A. Pius (though technically correct) is a red flag signalling that, at best, the seller is inexperienced. It is always a good idea to look carefully at all of a seller's listings. Birds of a feather tend to flock together, as they say. Caveat emptor.
Pillar of the Community
United States
735 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MartiVltori to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't worry about him being a not so good emperor. That is a stunning example. My first ancient was a Caracalla that my parents bought for me in England. The reverse of this coin is my profile pic. :)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
569 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A lovely coin. Well done.
Learn More...
United States
95713 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
816 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are many different "mugs" for Caracalla. I waited quite awhile till I could snag one that has a somewhat menacing look.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 322Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05