Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1947 Turkey Error ( No 50.kurus )

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 132Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
72 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  09:32 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Flokizomb to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So came across this turkey 50. Kurus error Coin.
There is No 50. KURUS it is missing any ideas and maybe value ?

Edited by Flokizomb
02/21/2021 10:33 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54577 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Guessing it's a product of a partly grease-filled die.
Valued Member
United States
72 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Flokizomb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the idea I have another foreign coin with the same anomaly but different country currency and its missing the 5 on the Rev
Thanks again for the reply
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18112 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
KM#882.
Makes me think that the '50 KURUS' may have been deliberately burnished off.
Theory is supported by the fact that the sides of the leaves nearest to where the '50 KURUS' was, are also very worn down.

As with Coinfrog, the possibility of a Grease Filled Die cannot be dismissed.
Pillar of the Community
Turkey
755 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add molydeii to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In addition to a 1 Lira coin, these coins are among the last silver coins minted for circulation in Turkey. They're .500 silver. They haven't seen much circulation though, they'd been legal tender here until 1960.

They're very famous of having weakly struck "50 KURUS". Even mint state examples show some weakness in the strike. I believe it's because of the design, the "50 KURUS" design/part or whatever it is called in English, is rather thin.

My guess says it's a post mint damage. Or someone thought it may be nice to remove an already weak part of a coin and makes a novelty item. Chances are, it can still be a Grease Filled Die (they're relatively common in 1940s-1950s Turkish brass coinage) but still, just like in England, error coins does not command a premium here in Turkey.

Anyhow, I hope this helps a little bit.

Edited by molydeii
02/21/2021 4:50 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18112 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reverse side (50 KURUS) would have struck up much better if the obverse fields had been very slightly scyphate (dished), instead of flat. (Much like my avatar coin)
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 132Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05