Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1895 Quarter Dollar Grade

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 689Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
526 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  3:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What do we think? I'm unsure if it quite makes XF40.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56612 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ill say EF-45, possibly details (ED) if that gook doesn't come off cleanly, which I'm guessing it won't. Looks like somebody's already had a go at the back of the cap.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1965 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

It might just be the lighting or the contrast on the pictures, but the fields look a bit greyish and flat. The dark spots between the eagle's wings, neck, and the ribbon could be where liquid pooled from whatever was used to clean the surfaces.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2291 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2088 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bandsdean to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Easy XF45. As for the black on the obverse, perhaps a bit of acetone (100% pure) will remove some of it. If mine, I would soak it in acetone then gently brush with a q-tip with acetone.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1522 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  11:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XF45
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10027 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
might make XF45 but the coin would be tagged as details due to ED and a cleaning
Valued Member
United States
271 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Check Diy89Nurm7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Diy89Nurm7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with XF. The reverse looks quite strong, but I, too, wonder about the cause of apparent distress on the obverse. I am tempted to offer a split grade of XF40/45 (obv/rev) but wonder whether a TPG will end up giving it XF details with cleaning or ED. The current Greysheet lists $60 for XF40 and $75 XF45 for what it's worth...

Stay well,
Diy89Nurm7

Stay well,
Diy89Nurm7
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22024 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF-45 details, environmental damage.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5463 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see AU detail but lifeless surfaces. I'd suspect some kind of ED or an old chemical dip. Might look good in someone's album.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56612 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Failed efforts to clean the obverse leave this a details coin.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
526 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Received and given an acetone dip and cleaned gently with a q-tip. Much better right? Still same grade, details? Thanks for all replies.

Valued Member
United States
303 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add heavymetal to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW! In my eyes that made a huge difference. I'll defer grading to the pros though. Two thumbs up!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2932 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like it better, I would still call it XF Details ED because of the porous area behind the neck.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2291 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd have to agree with Slider, XF Details.

Great pictures also! But it's because your photos are great that I can see the porosity.

Regardless, as far as Details coins go, I've gone from disliking to likening this one.
Valued Member
United States
412 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunate about the cleaning/details but the strike on this is incredible, XF to me as well. Has a bit of a circulation cameo on the reverse that makes that eagle and the lettering POP

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 689Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05