Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1954 Jefferson S Over S Or Not?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 248Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  09:18 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add PPorro to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've looked at this and it was listed as a S/D but that's wrong. Missing the line under the S. Then I looked closed and I see some possible "error" above the S like the S over S variety.

Or does this just look like damage?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1156 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That Coin Dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like Machine Doubling. Not an RPM
Keep track of your collection: https://en.ucoin.net/?ref=Ux0E0if

My collection: https://en.ucoin.net/uid112788
A friendly coin dude that is here for you!
A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification.
I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
My best US coin find: http://goccf.com/t/387871
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54665 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A sharper pic would help.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1296 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Might look to be MD but a sharper picture would be helpful in determining that
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  07:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PPorro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll try to do better. That's a macro lens but not so good lighting. Still learning and now that I see, Machine Doubling seems the leading suspect until I get a better image posted. Thanks
Valued Member
United States
367 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  07:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PPorro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hopefully a better exposure and I used a ring light. Also the word for making the images softer is Diffuser not Filter. So while I'm learning about coins and terminology I thought I'd toss in a little photography?

I'm also working on a closer view, with the light showing the differences in these two. The first is what I started with and I think maybe a better image will make it clearer that it's a Machine Doubling, because as you have been teaching me, the size of the element is reduced.

This second example that I just acquired, the S is doubled (I think) and should be the real thing? S/S 1954 Jefferson nickel.

Am I getting better?

Using a microscope, second one, depth of field starts to be an issue.

Edited by PPorro
02/24/2021 09:37 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
5541 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  09:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just click on this ( in Blue ) Machine Doubling. it'll take you to a host of several topics regarding MD
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48773 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note the locations of the mintmarks are not a match. What you are seeing is Machine Doubling.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PPorro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both of them? Darn... but thank you, I'll go read some more.
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PPorro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Following a link under Coop the signature line, I see https://www2.briansvarietycoins.com...tings/cat/27 Known (Jefferson) 1954 Nickel Double Die Listings. Will I find the die scratches and gouges as a verification. For Example: "Rev: Die dot under E of MONTICELLO; circular die scratch around rim shows best under AMERICA; series of short slanted die gouges in both left and right arches; curving die gouge in center of C of CENTS."

I should be able to see the Die dot under the E of Monticello if I have one of these? All of that variety have the same die dot?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48773 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If they see it on their example, and it is a description of their coin, and if it matches your coin, then it is a match. But die scratches are a die event. So if it is there, its like a fingerprint. If its not there, the die event may of happen before or after your coin was struck. But always check the mintmark location first. I thought you were matching to the lower image, but with two coins, check the locations to see if that matches first. Markers only apply if they are from the same die variety. Matching going backwards is a waste of time. Match the variety first, then the markers last. (often times the markers will indicate the die state/stage match)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PPorro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a check to see if I learned anything yet?

The flat parts around the other lettering, shows Machine Doubling? Also trying to make better photos with less shadows that distort the reality.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3075 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  11:05 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A little confusing about which coin is which here, but the uncirculated coin in the photos with the super close up does appear to be FS-502.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48773 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Variety Vista images makes it a little confusing with the MD on the Stage 'B' Example. I Look at the Stage 'C' for what the real RPM direction.
Richard S. Cooper

Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PPorro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I caused that problem. I had the first one which was MD, then I added the second which my imaging wasn't very good, which I suspected was a real S/S. Plus I'm still learning and the guide says, full image, obverse and reverse, which I hadn't done.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 248Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05