Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Indian Or Persian Coin Unknown (Id: 1 Qiran From Iran Minted 1878 Ad)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 225Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
739 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  04:31 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add vince1977 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Does anyone happens to know this silver thick piece. It has the size of a dime.

Below there is a date visible 1596?

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3452 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  04:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
129...5, I think. Can't quite figure out the last digit. If 1295 is correct, this corresponds to 1878 AD.

that it looks Persian; looking at Numista, some types from Afghanistan have very similar designs, but I couldn't find an exact match.
Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
739 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  05:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vince1977 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your reply! I will try with your description to look further
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4575 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@vince, if the mass is near 5 g., maybe a 1 qiran coin like this one:
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces57415.html

Obverse details are pretty close, so maybe it is from a different mint (somebody like @andyg or @kushanshah may be able to read the mint name)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1188 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think @tdziemia is on track. I can read al-Sultan Naser al-Din Shah Qajar and the mint name Masshad.
Edited by Kushanshah
02/25/2021 5:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
739 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  06:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vince1977 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just did put the coin under my scale. You are rigth it is 4,84 grams. Near 5 gram.
So A Qiran from Masshad in Iran.
Is it a undated piece or 1256? like seen on the obverse. THis is the first time a have a iran coin since I remember.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4575 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think @j1m was correct that the date is AH1295 = 1878 A.D. for your qiran.

Regnal dates of Naser al-Din Shah Qajar (as identified by @kushanshah)were 1848-96, which fits.

So ... SOLVED

Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 225Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05