Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1884 CC VAM? Please Take A Look.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 296Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
132 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  4:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Johnsonr29 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, I am posting these photos here in the hopes that someone more knowledgeable can tell me if this is some kind of VAM.

Notice the markings protruding into the obverse from the mouth and nose area, as well as the markings coming from the hair by the band into the obverse as well. These marking appear to be laid underneath of the obverse image, as if the obverse image was struck over them.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1056 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We will need full shots of the Obverse and Reverse.
Here is the link for the VAM's of this date: http://ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.c...1884-CC_VAMs
Valued Member
United States
132 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Johnsonr29 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah after looking at those links, to me it looks like reverse die clashing, almost like the wreath from the reverse got struck on the planchet before the obverse was printed over it. There is some slight doubling in both 8's in the date 1884 on the front. If you look at the neck line, you can see a small mark that looks like the very back of the arrow shaft on the reverse, the markings coming from the mouth and back of the hair area look like the reverse wreath. I will post more pictures, and do the best I can with my 30x loop and camera.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2997 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, those are all die clash marks, often helpful in attributing VAMs. Full photos of the obverse and reverse are definitely needed with clear imaging of the date and mintmark.
Edited by Zurie
02/26/2021 8:00 pm
Valued Member
United States
132 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Johnsonr29 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
132 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Johnsonr29 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
2997 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks to me like a VAM-4B, nice coin!

http://vamworld.com/wiki/1884-CC_VAM-4B
Valued Member
United States
132 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Johnsonr29 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What about the negative space cracking in between the letters of L I B of the word Liberty on the head? I didn't see that on the pictures of VAM 4b. I've never seen negative space cracking on a coin before. Is that natural or damage? Aren't die cracks always filled, just a line stamped in the metal in the shape of the crack of the die right?
Pillar of the Community
United States
765 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like VAM4B EDS to me.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 296Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05