Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1970 D Lincoln Steel Cent?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 307Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
327 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  10:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add My2cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I can only assume that this is coated with something. Just checking on others opinions.
Obviously it must have been done quite a while ago because of the color but what do they coat the coin with?
It weighs 3.14 and it is not magnetic.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
600 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a 1965 like and seem to be done by some funny guys who want to make moneys. XRF test give me complete different alloy of nickel that mint use.
Valued Member
United States
179 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IsThisAnything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking striped rather than coated, but let's wait for the experts to weigh in.

Either way, it's PMD
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9465 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not stripped because the cents before mid 1982 were solid bronze alloy. Afterwards they were zinc core and copper plated. Maybe it is spray paint? A trick to slough off a cent for a dime in change?
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Valued Member
United States
179 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IsThisAnything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, Rothery, plated. I was just using OPS language.

TNG, I didn't even think about that. Good to know!
United States
30 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CMattB2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All it could be is plating, or real. It's 99% chance plated, but still cool to hold onto just in case!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
273 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  11:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scuba1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a 1970 bronze cent. Bronze/copper cents weigh in the 3.11 gram range. A steel cent weighs 2.7 grams. This tells it all. Like mentioned before, it is not stripped as there is nothing to strip from this year Lincoln Cent. Plated.... possibly, painted.... possibly, but it is not a steel cent. Still neat looking though.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
600 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  12:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And here is mine. Closer look will show house made plating.

Any comments? welcome.

Silvio
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
237 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kcm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a far-flung thought:

Born in 1948, I spent my youth among fellow street urchins in the projects of the Boston Housing Authority. I remember many times one of us kids held a puddle of mercury in our left palm and by washing them in the puddle, turned pennies into dimes. I've often wondered what one of those would look like today. Of course we under-educated, under-supervised urchins had not a clue how poisonous mercury is!

Kevin
Given the option of choosing between a very interesting coin or a rather valuable one, I'd choose the former every time . My vexation lies in the fact that the two so often coincide.
Valued Member
United States
155 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  10:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oddguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
kcm, those were the days of chemistry sets sold to kids who blew up,military gave cigarettes in rations, tv adds said cigarettes were healthy, radiation paint was put on clocks that glowed in the dark, ect...glad you survived.
Valued Member
United States
107 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  11:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PPorro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's very possible to Zinc plate a cent with minimal chemistry. Look for a place where the electrode was connected to the copper. Just an alternative idea how these could be made.

https://chemdemos.uoregon.edu/demos...monstration#

Chemistry working for you. When I did black and white photos and the papers actually had Silver in them (film also) I'd drop a penny into the fixer solution and it would collect silver. I don't know where those went if I spent them.

They would be from the 60s.
Edited by PPorro
02/27/2021 11:16 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
237 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kcm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
glad you survived

Shall I post a list of those who are not?
Given the option of choosing between a very interesting coin or a rather valuable one, I'd choose the former every time . My vexation lies in the fact that the two so often coincide.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
273 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scuba1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Look for a place where the electrode was connected to the copper.

Good information PPorro on looking for where an electrode could have been placed. Looking at the OP's coin, at about the 9 o'clock position obverse, it looks like possibly a small alligator clip damage where it may have been attached to the coin. Good info to look for on future coins of this type.
Edited by Scuba1
02/27/2021 1:39 pm
Valued Member
United States
165 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sirguardian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the first photo I was leaning toward paint.... I've seen this on other coins ppl bring to me.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 307Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05