Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

3 Uncirculated 1955 Quarters With Possible Identical Errors

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 663Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
8 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  01:29 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Red Leader to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have three 1955 quarters that I purchased out of an uncirculated coin roll. Under close inspection I can see what looks like Identical marks across the top of Washington's head. Two of the coins marks run out to the right of his head.

I am a novice when it comes to knowing about this kind of thing. I will attach photos of all three coins.

If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you guys so much!!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38462 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  04:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Not an error but a variety. It is a die crack.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
647 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  04:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a die crack...
Imagine the die making the impression develops a crack in it...when it strikes the blank planchet to deliver the image...the metal being formed from the strike will flow into the crack ever so slightly leaving that impression on the newly struck coin. So all coins struck with the die that has this crack will show this same crack.
Nice finds!
smat
Edited by smat45
02/27/2021 04:32 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3554 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  07:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm agreeing, die cracks. Nice find.

Full photos of the coin's obverse and reverse could tell us more.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15015 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I could be wrong but I'm not seeing the same mark through his head . I'm going with just a scratch on those 3 Quarters . Why you say , on the first one it goes through head and into field not to edge of coin . On the third one it doesn't go completely through head and on the left side of the scratch there is a small , ( lets say die chip ) not evident on the other coins .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55771 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say die cracks as well.

to the CCF!
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Red Leader to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have not been able to see any evidence of cracks on the back. For sure nothing that I could get to show up in a picture. Should I find someone to look at them in person? If they are evidence of a die crack, does that increase the value? I feel like, if they are evidence of a die crack, that I would need the three of them together for the rest of their lives to tell the story. I will not rule out scratches, my question to them being a scratch is: Why do I see the same pattern in them? and why does it look raised up, rather than sunk in?

Thank you all for your feedback. It helps me to learn what to look for.
Valued Member
United States
179 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  09:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IsThisAnything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I thought die cracks as well, but TBOP knows a thing a or two, so now I can see it both ways.
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Red Leader to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For sure, IsThisAnything, that is why I wanted to bring it here to discuss the possibilities. I have this thing that my wife calls delusions of grandeur; I see something like this and think that it is the most amazing thing since sliced bread. I need the pros in here to keep me grounded.
Obviously, if it is scratches, that takes away from what they could be and I do not want that, but it could be the reality. I will not dismiss that.

Is this worth taking to a local pro, that can look at them in person?
I really do not know if it worth all the work...
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15015 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reality is those three Quarters should be looked at In Hand by a reputable coin dealer . I realize not everything shows up or doesn't show up in photos .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3843 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  10:56 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice 3 coin lot , all obviously struck from the same obverse die .
Neat little die crack , certainly not scratches .
Show all three full size and the reverses as well .
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Red Leader to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
T-bop,
I appreciate your candor and honesty. I will do that, I guess that I just did not want to feel like I was imagining that they are more than what they really are. I have never had to deal with this before. I am just a novice collector. I have always just collected coins that fell into my hands, but recently, I was able to get my hands on these coins and do not want to mess up. I do not know the value of them, I paid 23 dollars for the three of them. In my mind it was worth it, with or without the marks, because I have never had uncirculated silver quarters in my possession before. It was kind of a jump for my collection.
Once again, thank you for your responses and advise.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4724 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  11:28 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I must agree with the general consensus. Nice die cracks. Cool that you have three that possibly show the progression of the crack in the die? My thought as to why the one doesn't go as far.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9465 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with chafemasterj, there is some progression as the die cracked more with striking.

Seems to be some confusion about the reverses. There is no reason for the reverse to show any cracking. It was the obverse die that cracked.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1611 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I thought die cracks as well, but TBOP knows a thing a or two, so now I can see it both ways.

How can it be both ways? They are either die cracks or they aren't. With that said, Those are die cracks on the head area (First two look to be from the same die - 3rd one can't tell),
EDIT: Closer pics would help for sure...

Everything can change in just one day.........

Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Edited by Rothery
02/27/2021 11:51 am
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Red Leader to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Posted are the Obverse and Reverse of the individual coins for your viewing pleasure.
I think that it will show them better.
I have numbered them for the purpose of differentiating within the post. It will not be the same numbers from the previous post.

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 663Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05