Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1989 Lincoln Cent Lamination, Or Strike Through?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 146Next Topic  
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  3:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add element47 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey all. So, I found this a while back and I labeled it a lamination. But, now when I look at it and consider the year I'm wondering if maybe its actually a strike through? The reason I wonder if its a strike through rather than a lam is because 1983 was zinc. So, I'm thinking if it were a lam shouldnt the area in question be a silver color?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50107 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well Zinc cents don't have lamination issues. But they are struck through foil from plating from other broken planchet. Note the edge and rim area of your coin. Do you see a thin layer that was added to your coin? Your coin is probably normal weight. 2.5 grams. Something was added to your coin during the strike, but it fell of the coin in circulation. Thus the area your looking into still has the plating on the coin. If it had peeled, then you would be see gray on that area of the coin. Interesting find but probably not much of a premium. More of a show and tell item to a new collector, with a story behind it.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add element47 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah I'm pretty sure I can see the layer. So, is what you're describing not a strike through?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50107 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The plating and probably some zinc, was struck into your coin. Then it fell off. If it still a struck through as you can still see some foil on that area. The plating under the affected area is the proof that it did happen. The reverse should be normal opposite that area.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55901 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 146Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05