Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1891 P Morgan Dollar For Grading. (Coin 2)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 304Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
303 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  2:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add heavymetal to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Thanks in advance.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1696 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ms 63/64

Nice looking, contact marks not very distracting
Pillar of the Community
United States
9938 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
another decently struck 91(P) luster broken. rub on areas. reverse is pretty nice. obverse will hold this one to MS63
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22016 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Luster looks frosty, minimal marks, MS-64.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55871 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ill say MS-63+, shot 64.
Pillar of the Community
United States
760 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
also 63/64
Pillar of the Community
United States
2894 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3052 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at MS-63 deep hit over the eye holds it down
Pillar of the Community
United States
565 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2021  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Keith12 this is a 64+ probably but that hit above the eye should hold it to MS-63
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1918 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2021  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The obverse has quite a few contact marks. There are two small marks on the chin and neck, one next to the lips, one on the tip of the nose, the mark that has already been mentioned above the eye, and a longer but light east-west scratch from just below the ear to just below the cap vee. There is a break in the luster on the cheek, and smaller breaks in the hair above the eye and the ear, and on the cap.

The reverse is much better, with a contact ding above the eagle's head and another in the center of the eagle's right wing (our visual left). Again, however, there are breaks in the luster on the eagle's breast, legs, and in the fields east and west of the eagle's wings.

The luster disruption is my main concern. The cheek and eagle's breast disruption could be from album storage, but the rest of the disruption really makes me pause. I think this one might come in as a slider. If so, it is fantastic for the grade. If the discoloration is not seen as evidence of circulation, the obverse caps the coin at MS-63.

Net grade: either AU-58 or MS-63. I'm leaning toward 58 here.

It's a nice coin, either way. The surfaces are frosty and original.
Edited by fortcollins
03/13/2021 7:01 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 304Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05