Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Military Pay Note On Base Use Only.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 354Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
517 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  2:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I dont know much about this. Before my time. No date so I dont know if it was my father's or grandfather's. If anyone has info on it. Not sure if this is even where I post this.

Pillar of the Community
United States
517 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did find a link you had on a post from 2012 but it does not exist now.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3380 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Military payment certificates for the series 641 were the first notes used in Vietnam; that is also the only country in which these were used. They were originally issued on August 31st, 1965. They were redeemed on October 21st, 1968. In total, a little over 283 million in face value was printed for series 641 MPCs. Lots of Vietnam veterans came home with these, so most aren't rare.

Yours isn't a replacement, so worth $1-$2
Pillar of the Community
United States
517 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great information. Thank you. What does the replacement mean? I have several of these. Thank you for your reply.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3152 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What does the replacement mean?

The term replacement is technically the name for Star Notes. On an MPC, a replacement note will have a prefix letter before the serial number, but without a suffix letter after the serial number. Your note has both a prefix and suffix letter, so it's not a replacement note.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3380 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What Steve said, if your note was (for example) J026848090 than it would be a replacement. Here is some more information:

Type: Series 641

Denomination: Five Cents

Number of Notes Printed: 22,848,000

First Issued: August 31, 1965

Redeemed: October 21, 1968

Value In Very Low Grades: $1

Value In Perfect Condition: $5

There were three different print runs for series 641 five cent military payment certificates. All of them are extremely common.
Edited by hfjacinto
03/04/2021 3:23 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
517 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Right on. Thank you very much.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 354Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05