Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Please Explain To Me Why All The Posts I See Are "How Much Is This Worth?"

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 494Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3396 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  6:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I try to ignore the posts asking how much this is worth but lately that's all that seems to pop up.

I don't get it, yes I understand it's nice to find something that's worth more than face value.

But lately I see a lot of "hey how much is my coin worth? I found it in parking lot. I only saw it after running it over and doing a peel out. It's in pretty rough shape. But it must have left the mint looking like this"

On the currency side I get "hey I found this $30 it has serial numbers 855347853, this is unique , it has to be worth thousands"

Why aren't people collecting because of the love of history, artistry. Is it me or is everyone looking for the coin/ currency lottery?
Valued Member
United States
374 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PlumCrazy814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's related to the hype in magazines (for those who still read them) and online about the super valued oddities worth 3 houses, 2 cars and three horses.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38948 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think YouTube is to blame and the lack of common sense.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
374 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PlumCrazy814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think YouTube is to blame and the lack of common sense.
John1

...or an abundance of common cents that got run over in a parking lot...
Pillar of the Community
United States
3396 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This thread just popped up and proved my point

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=394429
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3891 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those kind of posts are generally from people who have little to no interest in numismatics as a hobby
to pursue . The term quick buck artist or King of Wishful thinking both come to mind .
I try really hard to avoid those posts , as they will just drain you !
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11548 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think a lot of people are hurting financially right now, too. I'm trying to sell some things to get a little extra cash and on eBay I'm getting tons of offers from sellers on watched items, but very few offers from buyers on what I'm selling. It's a noticeable shift.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Valued Member
United States
429 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
oh boy that thread was quite the read. I think the trouble is any hobby that involves money will have people looking for their next 'get rich quick' scheme

Those same people just hoping to get rich quickly will never do their research. They lack the appreciation for the hobby and just want to reap the benefits. That's why common sense goes out the window and they post parking lot coins.
To the uninterested outsider, a clipped planchet and a set of wire trimmers achieve the same result.

Those of us that stick around here do care about the hobby
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15200 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe there has been a tremendous influx of new comers to the hobby by what the U.S. Mint has been offering over the last 10 or so years and face book , e-Bay ,etc. A lot of these new comers are all hyped up with the hobby and not really knowing a coin from a metal . They come to this forum while searching the internet and the first question they ask is what's is this worth ! 9 times out of 10 it's a badly worn common date Wheat cent or a no MM dateless Standing Liberty quarter . But please , I'm not saying every newbie does this or that everyone don't know anything about coins .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Valued Member
Canada
231 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ironhorse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the link you provided to make a point sums up part of the reason you put this post together in that theres such a huge lack of knowledge in many of the finer points in coin collecting and the general public

I have noticed the influx of these posts over the past few weeks and they seem to be getting more and more prevalent lately, the majority of these are 'one and done' they tune in for ten minutes to find out how silly their post sounds and how their so often damaged coin is only worth face

however it does send a message that there are a few out that are legitimately interested in coins etc. and some do stick around but you can almost bet your bottom dollar that most of them will have more fingers than posts and ask what the value is, then they are thicker than I give some of them credit for...i mean really, in the time it takes to create a profile, take a bad pic, and then never return...you could have saved yourself the aggravation and just use google but then again there's the easy button pressers who for whatever reason cant figure some things out for themselves and can only be told the answer when siri and alexa can only shrug at this point and look away

every forum I've been a part of for the past twenty years have been like that regardless of the subject matter they all seem to have transient fortune hunters, this one is no different
I really enjoy reading and learning on this message board and I learn lots but lately the knowledge in the daily posts has been diluted down a bit
Pillar of the Community
United States
3687 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We are living in an age of get rich quick with Gamestop stock and Dogecoin and I think that gets extended to coins as well.
Learn More...
Australia
13611 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink. Likewise, you can give someone the most interesting, fascinating and beautiful coins, and all they can think of is "how much is it worth".

Thus it has always been, for coin collectors.

The renaissance poet-scholar Petrarch (lived AD 1304-1374) is widely considered the "father of coin collecting" for his advocacy that all princes should acquire a coin collection for their education. He assembled a beautiful collection of ancient Roman coins and gave it as a gift to the Holy Roman Emperor at the time. Petrarch hoped the coins would prompt an interest in history, particularly with the goal of using the examples from the "good" ancient Roman emperors as role models, to learn how to be a better emperor. Petrarch was puzzled, confused and rather upset when all the emperor wanted to know was how much he could sell the coins for.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Australia
998 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  11:51 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i agree, there been a marked increase on many forum, expect trading ones.

I wonder why there not may how much should I pay for this beautiful coin post
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1956 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  12:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This question of "What's it worth" is not just unique to coins. It's a coin forum so they come here to ask a simple question. I'm also on an Antiques forum and the exact same thing happens there. When Granny or Gramps passes the kids come out of the woodwork asking how much their items are worth. I guess it's just something you have to put up with when you choose to be on certain forums - Boils down to if you don't like the topic then move on to one that you do like.
Everything can change in just one day.........
Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  12:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numiscrat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay,

So I told myself at one point that I—as a new member—could handle some of those easy questions and posts...

Save some time for the more experienced folks (a few of whom have already commented) to comment on trickier matters that I care about, and where I can learn something...

I even taught high schoolers science without losing it, so I can do this....

On another thread, it looks like someone might have found something mildly interesting—impaired dollar proofs from circulation, but after their last response to me when I tried to help them with the previous coin they posted...

No. Sometimes, I cannot.

As Rothery and Pacificoin said, just walk away.

I have great respect for the mods who can keep it kind and classy when my patience would have been exhausted.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 494Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05