Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2000 D Nickel , What Kind Of Error Is This ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 357Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
53 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  11:47 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add AshC21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I have a 2000 D nickel and it looks weird , for starters it does not have the outer ring on the front of the coin ( sorry I don't know the proper name ) around "In God We Trust" and "Liberty."

"Liberty " is all messed up and I can't really read it , same with "We " in "In God We Trust"
The face is all messed up, I don't even see his eye.
And on the back it's a bit scratched up.
I see no "e" in "Five"

I have been looking online for something close to my coin and I had no luck.
I don't know what kind of error this is and if it's worth keeping on my collection?
It has been in my collection for a very long time and I think it's about time I learn more about it.
If anyone knows what kind of error this is ?
(I can't post more photos .
It's giving me a hard time posting photos.)

Pillar of the Community
Canada
9425 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  11:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry but not an error that I can see.
There is nothing on the coin that can't be attributed to damage and circulation wear.

Correct typo
Edited by JimmyD
03/06/2021 11:56 am
Valued Member
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  11:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately, it looks like the coin was damaged (e.g. scraped, dragged) after leaving the mint, or PMD, possibly compounded by being weakly struck to begin with.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50165 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In a word: "Damaged". Not a mint error. When a coin is damaged, it is still worth face value. Nothing more and nothing less.
So you do this to your new truck:

Does it increase the value? Is it a factory error. Same with coins. Damage even on a nice coin, lowers the value as much as 90%. It turns a good coin into a cull coin. Save the best, spend the rest. (That is the job they were made for)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
Canada
53 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AshC21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry this website is giving me problems , I went to go fix my typo and photos and it keeps crashing...
So it's just a normal messed up coin worth face value , is that why I couldn't find anything about it ?
Pillar of the Community
United States
992 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2000 is one of those years nickel dies were worked to death. Your coin was struck during what's called a very late die state, one when the dies are worn. It also shows signs of being Struck Through Grease. I have a few similar examples from 2000. After minting, your coin got beat up in circulation. No premium, but you might save it as an example until you find one less beat up.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3059 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And add parking lot coin
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50165 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes the site runs slow, and take a long time to get going again. But that is a rare event. Most of the time it is working fine. (when not, I know who to text) LOL
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 357Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05