Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1923 Buffalo Nickel Opinions

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 874Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2220 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  8:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Not my coin. Debating on picking this up, raw. Would be sent off to PCGS for my registry set. Well struck for a 23, some weakness in the reverse. In regards to strike and any marks, I'd call this a 65, but lack of luster, primarily reverse may hold it to a 64. Priced well if it pulls 65, high for a 64, seller's not budging much on price. Thoughts?

Edited by Ty2020b
03/06/2021 8:11 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56117 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a very tough call. I don't think I'd pay over 64 money for a raw coin. Too much grading expense, too much downside if you pay up.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18383 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Edited by sel_69l
03/06/2021 10:14 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18383 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely coloring. Should be protected by an airtight snap lock acrylic capsule of appropriate size as soon as possible. Buffalos, more than any other US coin type, are known to darken.
Obvious luster under the patina still evident in the pictures.

Some will ascribe extra value because the nice eye appeal due to the attractive patina, but a nice patina such as this can also be produced artificially. For this reason, I am not one of the 'some'.

MS-64.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1932 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reverse rim at 5:00 shows what appears to be damage. That lines up with the ding above the "E" in CENTS. I don't see any corresponding obverse damage. An edge pic would be definitive. If the rim issue is damage, I can't see the grade above MS-64.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2220 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@FC, the reverse issue you pointed out is the plastic from the holder. It's in a generic slab similar to the old ANACS holders.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9484 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A beautiful coin. I think you assessed it well in post No 1. Price is the factor which is unknown.
I have a nice 1923 Buffalo. Some of my Buffs in my set are very nice, some are sub-par. No rhyme or reason.
But mine looks like it might be like that. They are kind of locked up ay this time.

My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56117 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  10:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If seller had any confidence, he would have submitted it himself.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15085 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  11:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like this Nickel . Nice strike ,nice horn and tail .That tick above ''E'' in cents is trivia to grade but fortcollins pointed out the damage at left front hoof that I didn't notice at first . I'll go in between the grades and say MS64+ .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2220 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the input everyone. Obviously if the price was lower there'd be little hesitation. I'm leaning towards holding out. At the same time, seller has a 30 day no questions asked return, and part of me wants to see this one in hand.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9965 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the toning all appears to be original. overall the coin has nice eye appeal. a little weak around the hair band and on the back fur imo will keep it out of the 66 box. personally I would feel ok paying MS64 $$ for it but hesitant they are looking for 65 money even though I think it might make that. I do have a question looking at K6 reverse on the rim. is that a rim bump as that could be an issue?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2220 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@panzaldi, reverse K5-k6 is plastic from the holder it's in, no damage.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1932 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@FC, the reverse issue you pointed out is the plastic from the holder. It's in a generic slab similar to the old ANACS holders.

Ahhh, much better.

Interesting EMDS obverse and MDS reverse die pair here. There is clear evidence of clashing (notice the spiked head on the buffalo and the clashing at the right rear leg), with only partial die polishing (beneath the chin). It's a pretty sharp strike, and solid grade. With the NQA return policy, it might be good to see it in hand.

My question would be whether there is some luster disruption on the high points, and if so, whether that is just toning, cabinet rub, or very light circulation. My hunch is that it is just toning from being an album coin. With the plastic holder explanation, I could easily see MS-65 here.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2220 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Forgot to update this. I did go ahead and pull the trigger on it. Really wanted to see this one in hand.

Given the sellers no questions asked return policy, I figured worst case I can return if I'm not confident once its in hand. I don't typically do this, but given the asking price (and the probability of a high MS grade hiding under the sticker on the old PCI holder, swaying the sellers price), I could justify a return as not as described if its sub par for the money.

Should be in hand beginning of next week. Will update then!

Thanks for the input everyone!
Edited by Ty2020b
03/08/2021 8:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1567 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  12:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmkendall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've had more than a few buffs come back in a 66 holder, though they were blast white. Which really should not make any differnence,but probably does in the real world. Strike is nice but "not that nice" for a higher grade. Though it might warrant it on a purly techincal basis.
Pillar of the Community
United States
776 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2021  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KYCopperCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say it has a shot at ms65 personally
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 874Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05