Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Green Spots - Diagnosis And How To Care For It?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 493Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
209 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  3:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lunch Money to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought a 1965 Monnaie de Paris mint set from from a small auction site online. It wasn't a large expense, so I was not extremely thorough in evaluating before buying. As you can see in the pictures, it looks like there may have been some kind of water submersion at some point, maybe in a flood?
When I look at the coins, especially the reverses of the silver 10 franc and silver 5 franc, I see small green spots. I don't know if these are from something in the water or if the packaging is vinyl. Does anyone know how to tell what the green spots could be, what to do about it now (acetone?), and whether it is ok to leave in the OGP or if I need to move them to something else?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3138 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You need to get those coin out of that holder and soak in acetone. I bought A few of these sets in that PVC holder. acetone did the trick for most of them. some where to far gone
Learn More...
United States
19160 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good advice from @keith. Hopefully the PVC packaging has not ruined them.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18429 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a soft clear PVC pocket strip has been supplied by the Paris Mint.
That is a pity; I agree with the above comments. That means the packaging can't continue to be be used for the coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1163 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No doubt PVC packaging spoils coins.
Green grunge is a result.
I do a home self test on plastic to be sure it is PVC free. It can be common in cardboard holders with plastic windows.
Edited by Albert
03/07/2021 10:26 pm
Valued Member
United States
209 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lunch Money to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is acetone ok to use on all coins, whether silver or not? It looks like some of the others have some green as well.
Valued Member
United States
392 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  01:34 am  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've had three of those. Two in the original box. One just the plastic. They all had that issue. Acetone will help. But may not get all of it. It will be easier on the silver coins. But also helps the other ones.

Between the three, I was able to rescue the equivalent of one set. I took archival plastic flips and cut them in half. Trimmed them down to the top of where the envelope starts. That way they were essentially the same size as the French plastic. I put one large coin per flip. Doubled up some of the small ones. Then slid those under the flap of the French vinyl. Which I had cleaned with soap and water. Then put the vinyl strip back in the box. That way I had coins that looked like they were in the OMP, but protect from the vinyl by being inside the archival flips.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18429 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  05:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acetone OK to use on any coin.
It is only good for removing organic substances.
Sometimes however, organic substances such as skin oils can leave permanent fingerprint stains on coins, and acetone will not remove those.
Valued Member
United States
209 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lunch Money to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the help. Here are the updated photos, after the acetone. It really seemed to do a great job taking away the green spots. And I am including the obverse photos just because I really like the way they look and wanted to share.

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18429 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  01:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I remember spending silver 5 Francs coins way back in 1970 when I was on a camping tour of Europe. Handsome coins with slightly textured fields. Due to the memory, I have kept an example for my collection.

Never saw silver 10 Francs coins, probably because in a practical sense, they were never intended for circulation.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
641 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2021  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Acetone OK to use on any coin.

I would tentatively add EXCEPT coloured coins. I haven't tried it but have heard acetone will strip the paint/ink off coloured coins.
Edited by David Graham
03/14/2021 9:50 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 493Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05