Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

20 Cent Piece With Bow & Arrow On Other Side

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 509Next Topic  
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  7:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JPL1182 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm new to coin collecting and having a lot of fun. I have what looks like a Twenty Cent Piece on one side, but has a bow and three arrows on the other. I can't find this on the web anywhere. Does anyone know what this is? The coin has a smooth edge and is thinner than a modern dime.

Thanks in advance.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56117 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most unusual "love token", not seen one like it. Obverse was ground down long ago in preparation for the engraving. I think this is most unusual on a 20 cent piece.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1112 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice artwork on the piece.
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JPL1182 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Love Token"? So, someone smoothed off half of this coin, then engraved their own design in it? I didn't know that was a thing people did.

Thanks for the reply, and I'm happy to have joined the CCF. I'm looking forward to learning more about coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3810 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Usually, they put their design on the reverse, but the creator of this one decided on the obverse. If you want to see some real doozies, search on "potty dollar" to see what people did with their time in the 19th century before TV was invented.
Learn More...
United States
18990 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So, someone smoothed off half of this coin, then engraved their own design in it?

Yes exactly! Not much for numismatic value any more, but some folks collect these love tokens.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4088 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It might be initials-ND perhaps. Typically love tokens had fancy intials or a name/ date. The dollar love tokens can be worth more than the numismatic value would have been.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JPL1182 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh I like the potty dollar. That's creative. I agree that that's probably the result of not having a TV.

Now it makes sense, the design is probably initials ND or ZD.

Thanks guys
Pillar of the Community
United States
3850 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

Cupid's bow struck, again ..... Perhaps the engraver left the denomination side free in order to show that the suitor wasn't the average two-bit lover!?

Edited by ExoGuy
03/07/2021 9:38 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18383 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Has value as an artwork, but silver value only as a coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2254 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  11:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is quite cool. It would be cooler if it was a cc.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
03/07/2021 11:12 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3859 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  12:47 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool contemporary Love Token .
Valued Member
United States
370 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  03:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is pretty cool! I've never seen a 20c love token before, I like the unusual choice
Learn More...
United States
98386 Posts
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnH4444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well it's an S mint so we know it has to be 1875 since that's the only year it was made in San Francisco. About a 100 dollar coin I think. Decent detail on the back, even though half of it is gone.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7823 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really nice piece !
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 509Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05