Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Grading Small 1 Cent Coins May Be Not So Easy!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 266Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1282 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  10:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Ok Gals and guys.
(Hopefully, there are also Lady- members in this forum?)
This subject probably has been kicked around many times and one of you will most likely say something like: go and google it or search the forum's previous posts. ok, that was a choice.
BUT, since this is a forum where people are here (hopefully) to learn something new (hopefully) every day. I have decided to illustrate and raise the issue again.
Perhaps it will be boring for you old-timers (oh, not again why is he doing that again.). Hopefully not, as it most likely is of interest for many new and perhaps long-time members. The question is simple.
But the answer may not be that simple!
The question is: would you have any of these two 1 cent coins graded by a TPG?
IMO, These are UNC, perhaps might even make BUNC. Or if not, the next best thing to it.
And yes, there may be faults? and, maybe these faults are not real faults? It all depends on how you look at them.
I have a handful of them from 1937 down to 1969. they were just taking up space as these are outside my collection interests and need to find a new keeper.
So, obviously, the question is: would you or not? (they will have to make at least 64 or better to break even). Either way and NO offense, your answers AND reasons will be much appreciated.
(and that has nothing to do with $$$) Probably not just by me, but by a good number of other members who are in a similar situation.
The images were taken with NO artificial light, just simple daylight, and reflect the colors as close as possible as they are.
The coins are NOT cleaned!
The visible marks and detraction? well, YOU decide what these are and how they affect your grade!
However, there is one important aspect I would like you to consider:
Please do not derail this post by comparing these 2, or other small 1 cent coins which might be posted addressing this subject, with your experiences with OTHER denominations.
This is about small 1 cent copper coins ONLY!
Other Canadian coins are not copper!!
And please do not forget, a macro lens magnifies everything multi-multi times.
Good luck and have fun!

Valued Member
Canada
51 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Levaril to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm no expert on grading pennies sorry. So I'll just throw what I think they could be. Rely on someone else's comment though. Lol.

A: 61-62
B: 62-63

I wouldn't send them into a TPG myself.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56118 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please show one coin per thread for better replies.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1282 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Purposely posted 2 coins as it is one thread.
Edited by 47P7
03/07/2021 10:49 pm
Learn More...
Canada
9622 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
would you have any of these two 1 cent coins graded by a TPG?

No. They lack the grade and eye appeal for my own send/do no send criteria. That said, ICCS might like the top one (clean fields), but PCGS would certainly not (busy devices).

Quote:
This is about small 1 cent copper coins ONLY!
Other Canadian coins are not copper!!

These ones are not copper. No Canadian coins are copper. All Canadian small cents are bronze, they contain small amounts of tin and zinc.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4088 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  04:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No.

A: Too many marks on the face
B: Splotchy, irregular toning, unappealing black marks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7070 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No.

But that is because I do not collect slabbed coins.

But if I liked to collect slabs just b/c I liked to collect slabs (and didn't care about the cost of slabbing), then yes.

Here is a great video about how even experts cannot predict what a company will actually put on a coin, so even they cannot turn a consistent profit using the companies.
21Z56jnRszw

The slabbed Half dollar No G farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Edited by Earle42
03/08/2021 11:48 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 266Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05